Black smoke and stuttering (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4Ruster

2LT Sufferer
SILVER Star
Threads
Hey 2L diesel, fresh rebuild, replaced injectors and injector pump as well. Noticing an excessive amount of black smoke when I blip the throttle in neutral, and then it kinda stutters and catches itself. Very weird. I've turned the fuel screw down so far the truck doesn't even accelerate unless I give it about 3/4 throttle, then it takes off almost like a switch, but with a lot of black smoke so I can't really even accelerate fast. I notice a LOT of injector clack under 3/4 throttle, then when it takes off above, I barely hear any clack. Very annoying and weird. Almost like the advance isn't in sync with the fuel?

Timing was set to 0.95mm, the most advanced I could get it while being within spec.

Here's a video.

UPDATE: I SOLVED IT:

I'll leave this here just incase anyone else has this issue. Mods can remove it if they see fit.

Fuel screw. Turned in too much.

I was going through pictures and noticed last year how much further my throttle stop used to sit. I figured what the heck, I'll match it up to the photo and adjust the fuel screw until the idle goes back down. I had it turned almost a full turn too high. Now I can rev it all I want and it no longer dumps a buttload of coal or stutters. While driving I noticed my throttle pedal felt... better.

Let me explain, before this, the pedel was nothing nothing nothing (oo more advance my injectors are clacking like hell) nothing nothing WHOOOAAAA ALL THE FUEL IM SMOKING OUT EVERYONE. Was a very fine area of throttle that actually did anything. Now.... it feels.... like a throttle... Little bit of pedal = little bit of acceleration, lotta pedal = lotta (relative) acceleration.

Check your fuel screws everyone. I put some chicken wire through the hole to keep it from being tampered with again.

Well, at least it was cool when it would roal coal.

I can still matt it to the floor and get a decent cloud out, not as thick as before but I can definitely piss off some Tesla drivers.

I have a stock 3B diesel… how can I make it roll coal without turning the fuel screw?

I have a stock 3B diesel… how can I make it roll coal without turning the fuel screw?
You just have to turn the fuel screw up. But you have to be careful, too much and it’ll run away. It’ll also raise your ETGs so you better have a pyrometer or you’ll end up with a 600lbs paper weight in a month.

You just have to turn the fuel screw up. But you have to be careful, too much and it’ll run away. It’ll also raise your ETGs so you better have a pyrometer or you’ll end up with a 600lbs paper weight in a month.

Try 850 pounds.

I love the 3B but it can’t handle much.

I think I want to throw the same engine you have into my pickup next.

3B is too big for a little mini truck.

How’s the power of the engine compared to the 22re?

How’s the power of the engine compared to the 22re?
I’m on the hunt for a Mercedes OM617. The diesel is cool and all but painfully slow and feels like I can’t trust it to drive me to work and back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom