BJ70 Tach Sensor Problem (wrong part 4wheelauto) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
[Rant] The guys a 4wheelauto screwed me over with the wrong tach sensor for a BJ70. Then I had to hound them to get answer and still nothing. Finally when I threaten to call them out online and I got a response. But not the one I wanted.

They have no ideal what customer service is. I strongly recommend anyone to use one of the numerous Land Cruiser parts suppliers in BC.

Needless to say that I burned my bridge with them and will not be getting the correct tach sensor from them. [/Rant]

So now that I feel better. I have a broken wire on my sensor. It broke at the base of the tach sensor (no place to make a repair). The sensor back seems to be encased in plastic.

Anyone ever dig out the wire and make a field repair? Any idea where I can get a used one, other then 4 wheel-don't-now-my-sensors?

The part number for a 1986 BJ70 tachometer sensor is:

83180-60040 - I can supply this part to you, but have to order it in. They are fairly spendy.

If you want one, give us a call.

The wires are reasonably delicate when you're working in a tight space. It's also a potential problem when removing and replacing the transmission that the wires can come up against the firewall or under-side body metal and get broken off.

You can try cleaning it up carefully and soldering a bead on to the end - there's nothing to lose by trying at this point.

~John

Great thanks John.

I was able to "dig" out the wire with a soldering iron. Dropped a bead of solder like you suggested and soldered on a new wire. Packed it full of silicon to keep it water tight.

Nice field repair if I do say so myself. Who would have guessed that the DICK's at 4wheelauto would have forced me to be so resourceful.

I still would like a replacement sensor, so I'll be calling shortly.

Thanks again.
Alex

BTW. Great customer service and I'm not even a customer... Yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom