BJ42 Radiator Fun (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ya mate. What did you end up doing?

Found this as well... Spectra Premium Industries | Company Overview

Canadian company with cross border operations is the USA. Looks like they make most s*** in Canada.

They list rad applications for BJ40/42 BJ60 and FJ40. Heater cores, aircon parts, fuel tanks (+80 40 series, new steel) and other s***.

Cheers
Crusty

Yep I used a rad I bought at lordco pretty cheap.

Aluminum one ... had to look it up by size not by application. I had a crossover pipe.

As for flex/problems there I haven't had any but I only drove the truck for about 2 years after the rad job before parking it in the barn.

One word of advice, if you use an electric fan don't use the plastic things to hold it to the rad, they'll vibrate and cut through the tubes.

Hey guys sorry about the inactivity, been swamped with school for the past few months.

My radiator showed up in December and I got around to throwing it in near the end of January. Went in pretty easy and works great! Glad to have her back on the road, especially during that snowfall!

16976174_10212436598820731_179024455_n.jpg

16934116_10212436599020736_436103944_n.jpg

16923824_10212436598700728_331163148_n.jpg

I was wondering if anyone was able to source an affordable radiator that fits a 3b set up. Would really appreciate any details if you happen to have them (especially a Lordco aluminum option). A part number would be beautiful, or car that it was from would also help. I have an early 3b (no PS) on a 1982 BJ42 so the in/out are on different sides...more common at least. The ebay options look like the shipping is as much as the rad....so Canadian source would be great. Otherwise, anyone re-core in Vic...cost? Any info would be fantastic...Thanks in advance.

Thanks, I did send Toshi38 a PM, he is now in Sweden and doesn't have any of his info. I was hoping someone may have done the same thing or got the info from him a while back. He did get a Lordco unit that worked well, but I think he manually flipped through a custom catalogue with all the measurements to eventually find it...would love to know I found the same one or one that works well if i go through that process...

JUst gonna recore my old rad..about 600 with warranty?

Thanks, I did send Toshi38 a PM, he is now in Sweden and doesn't have any of his info. I was hoping someone may have done the same thing or got the info from him a while back. He did get a Lordco unit that worked well, but I think he manually flipped through a custom catalogue with all the measurements to eventually find it...would love to know I found the same one or one that works well if i go through that process...
Sorry my bad, i should have read the previous posts from above. Like Diesel cruiser man, i recored my 42 rad about 12/14 years ago and its still holding strong. That old shop in Victoria is no longer and its tough to find those little shops that do quality work.

I emailed Spectra...I can see their "matched" rad has the inlet and outlet on opposite sides as mine (FJ40 set up)...maybe they'll have something else that matches closer...otherwise would love any leads...$600 recore is not my favorite option if the top seams etc are getting old...

I did end up ordering one through ebay.ca, shipped free to a box in point roberts and picked up by a friend. I haven't installed yet (a ways to go before I get to the rad), I have to admit the tig welding and quality look really good, and well under $200cnd all in so far...there were some other forums that mentioned someone had problems with mounts when off-roading (that style had just tabs for mounts) but the one commonly available now has a full mounting piece down the sides like the original...I'll update when I get it installed...wanted to get new hoses but the bottom one is pretty hard to find in Canada...will also definitely use the expensive coolant...

How did you make out with your ebay radiator ??
Bought one last year March and it's already leaking.......... grrrrr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom