birf grease ? and a hummmmmm from the front (UPDATE) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

All my front end rebuilds are completed with synthetic grease and oil.

Like the fact that they are not as temperature sensitive and tend to repel water rather than mix.

Rob
www.raddcruisers.ca

instigator those races are nasty :eek:

I would have no trouble using aeroshell 17 anywhere an extreme pressure moly grease is called for, I don't think any of the automotive greases are going to be of any higher quality

are you buying it or "obtaining" it? if buy how much and from where? wile you are at it grab some mobil 28 for the wheel bearings

hey raven glad to see ya from the bobistheoilguy forums. i read that you were getting a cruiser, good. i would be obtaining the grease in question. but i have settled on the valvoline syn. stuff that looks like spoiled butter milk :D i dont know if we use mobil 28 in the wheel bearings or something else, every company specifies something different. could be aeroshell 7,33,17 etc... all depends on those lousey bean counting engineers. and what they think is best for the company (not the plane). i could get some mobil 28 or this link has some http://www.galleria-e.com/cgi-bin/Colemans.storefront/3e1c83e1033e8fd2273fd81e6c020662/Product/View/460401 at one time they had 5 gal buckets of mobil 28 they still might. good luck if you still cant find it let me know i'll see if i can get some semi empty pales from the air guns area

I hear you, I heard recently the sole reason we use 2380 in most of our larger engines is that it is the cheapest, but it seams to do OK maybe it is the chevron supreme of turbine oils

I found this place through the link you left in my filter install thread good find :)

good deal, but dont let on about the,cough cough TP oil filters, theres suposidly a big bad wulf on the board that cant stand the thought of TP in the oil sys. something about snake and oil or is it the other way around :D :D (i had to -B- the thread was getting ripe for a jab) but i still love you wulfie :beer: there is a good bunch of folks on this board (kinda stuck on land cruisers though :D) although i did see a porsche on a trailer on another thread, thumbs up to that one

instigator,
did the races match the bearings? (brandwise)
maybe someone replaced the bearings but not the races? They are a matched set from Toyota, but if you buy them from aftermarket they are sold seperately....

Just wonding if that could be what happened to the races....
Anyone?

Looks like the wheel bearing nut did not have the correct preload and the bearing was loose in the race.

Chris- yes the bearings were matched might evean be the original set, they are timkins and have the numbering on the out side of the race. the ones i put back in had the numbers on the rear face of the race.
landtoy-i am thinking along those lines as well, it looks from the both the race and the bearings that the bearings were tilted in the race and were riding on the front edge on the rollers and that were the hot spot was and cuased the race meltdown. not to worry i did it by the book.

i do have a qwestion about the proceedure, does the preload get less as time goes on and should it be checked on a regular basis (not at a repack session)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom