Bike rack with tire swingout? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
Can anyone with a rear tire swingout and a bike rack share what you are doing?

Added to the normal distance issues is weight. We're contemplating getting some ebikes and they're heavy - 77lbs each. So the idea of a hitch extension to get out past the swingout, plus the weight of two heavy bikes has me nervous. That's a long lever arm.

Knowing someone else has done this would make me feel better about pulling the trigger on the purchase.

Can’t help with your original question as I don’t have a tire swing out but I usually remove the batteries from our ebikes while transporting on hitch carrier to keep the weight down. My batteries are ~10lbs each and every little bit helps.

If I am correct, the normal tongue weight limit is 800 lbs. Adding an extension makes it 400 lbs. (reduce by 50%). Which is line with the max for some extenders. There are only a few racks like this one that will carry that heavy of a bike. So in theory it should work. I think the biggest issue will finding a rack. A small trailer might be easier.

I did extensive work on this for my 100, and also wanted the solution to work on my 200. my 100 has a Slee rear bumper and I searched for years to find a solution.

I landed on the new design 1up rack attach with their HD trays. They also just added a ramp system for e-bikes.

the new rack attach is nice because you can flip it passenger or driver depending on other swingpouts. I run it driver swing on my 100 due to the spare swingout, and I run it passenger in my 200. Literally just flip it over, no changing of hardware.

here’s some pictures on my 100 series. Can confirm this also works on my stock rear 200. There are no extenders involved. This is all stock 1up gear.

bonus is the rack attack is one of the cheaper cost units out there.

if you really want to be sure, we could arrange a meet up and you could try it, I’m just north of Boston.

6EA3CB5D-EB05-4C00-9DA4-B87496AB1406.jpeg

B2703667-F445-41EC-A017-6E6644C9F757.jpeg

Last edited:
What ebikes are you looking at? FWIW I considered one of the heavy mountain ebikes but found the much lighter Orbea Rise to be better for my riding style and only weighs 36 lbs for the M20 spec. The Rise was updated (very small changes) for 2023, so last year models can be found on good sales.

Much easier to throw around as well as load on a rack and not worry about overloading issues. I have a Kuat NV 2.0 and Saris MHS on two rigs and have the Kuat Hi/Lo when I install on my FJ40 with rear mounted spare and it works great.

There are a few similar style bikes on the market. With AXS s***er and carbon wheels, bar and crank I am about 34 lbs. You can get a water bottle style range extender, but I have ridden 30 miles regularly with battery life to spare without the extender.

For comparison, my analog Santa Cruz Hightower with carbon wheels and bar is about 30 lbs.

Thank you!!

@cboyd I want to copy what you've done. Is that the 2" Rack Attach Heavy Duty Double and the Rack Attach 2.0 arm? And is the Rack Attach the Medium or Large size?

What ebikes are you looking at? FWIW I considered one of the heavy mountain ebikes but found the much lighter Orbea Rise to be better for my riding style and only weighs 36 lbs for the M20 spec. The Rise was updated (very small changes) for 2023, so last year models can be found on good sales.

Much easier to throw around as well as load on a rack and not worry about overloading issues. I have a Kuat NV 2.0 and Saris MHS on two rigs and have the Kuat Hi/Lo when I install on my FJ40 with rear mounted spare and it works great.

There are a few similar style bikes on the market. With AXS s***er and carbon wheels, bar and crank I am about 34 lbs. You can get a water bottle style range extender, but I have ridden 30 miles regularly with battery life to spare without the extender.

For comparison, my analog Santa Cruz Hightower with carbon wheels and bar is about 30 lbs.
Thanks. This is more of a way for my wife and I to get out a little more, and explore while we're camping. Neither of us are light, so we're focused on bikes for larger people. That narrows the options a lot. I think were getting two Aventon Aventure2 bikes.

That’s going to be a 260lb or so setup several feet back - got airbags?

OME 2721 that handle our camper and other trailer fine. I'm okay to add airbags if needed.

I did extensive work on this for my 100, and also wanted the solution to work on my 200. my 100 has a Slee rear bumper and I searched for years to find a solution.

I landed on the new design 1up rack attach with their HD trays. They also just added a ramp system for e-bikes.

the new rack attach is nice because you can flip it passenger or driver depending on other swingpouts. I run it driver swing on my 100 due to the spare swingout, and I run it passenger in my 200. Literally just flip it over, no changing of hardware.

here’s some pictures on my 100 series. Can confirm this also works on my stock rear 200. There are no extenders involved. This is all stock 1up gear.

bonus is the rack attack is one of the cheaper cost units out there.

if you really want to be sure, we could arrange a meet up and you could try it, I’m just north of Boston.

View attachment 3270129

View attachment 3270131
I have a very similar setup as @cboyd that I use on my Tacoma with an Alu-Cab canopy camper with a spare tire on the rear door. I use a large size RakAttach swing out (passenger side) and Super Duty Single for one bike. I'm in the same town as @cboyd north of Boston if you want to see that setup as well. Also works on my LC200, I just don't need the swing out there since my spare still sits underneath.

I can take a few pictures later when I'm back home if that's helpful.

I had an early eBike that weighed in around 60 to 70 lb. Beach cruiser fat tire style. It was fun on pavement in a straight line. Horrible in any other use case.
I will echo the sentiment here to get the very lightest bikes that will meet your exploration goals or trail use case.
The price is likely going to be nauseating to blend capability weight and rider capacity.

A 70 lb bike is not like a ‘bicycle’. It’s a light motorcycle. It can’t be moved with agility to avoid stuff, and if it falls on you it can break bones. It’s not hyperbole, that bike had a forum like this one and the first aid section was gruesome.

I love the eBike concept for providing mobility and range and getting people back in the saddle (as it were), just be careful with the weight. I’d try to stay below 45 lbs, and below 40 if at all possible. The specialized turbo Kenevo sl comp is 42lb. $6750. It has a fox 36 fork suitable for the rider weight you’re talking about.

Try to demo on dirt and preferably on trails you know well if possible!

Last edited:
Sorry , I got off topic.
Look at the lolo style rack, with some thought, a few pieces of plate, I think the vertical beam could be adapted to an existing bumper swing.
I built my own out of aluminum, but didn’t really realize any gains over the real part when time and cost are factored in.

I have a very similar setup as @cboyd that I use on my Tacoma with an Alu-Cab canopy camper with a spare tire on the rear door. I use a large size RakAttach swing out (passenger side) and Super Duty Single for one bike. I'm in the same town as @cboyd north of Boston if you want to see that setup as well. Also works on my LC200, I just don't need the swing out there since my spare still sits underneath.

I can take a few pictures later when I'm back home if that's helpful.
@EW6 - I’ve see the Taco go by a few times. Even asked Jonathan at Roko to see if he knew who it was… stop by for a beer sometime!

Thank you!!

@cboyd I want to copy what you've done. Is that the 2" Rack Attach Heavy Duty Double and the Rack Attach 2.0 arm? And is the Rack Attach the Medium or Large size?
Hey @CharlieS

I’m running the HD Single with an add-on since I leave the single on my 200 most of the time. I have another HD add-on that I use when my wife comes. If a kid comes, I can add a third tray.

When we do a trip, the double goes into the swing out.

It’s a 1up RackAttach 2.0 in Large. Just confirmed on my past order.

I worked with Kurt the 1up mktg guy at Ezpo East last fall to test it live on my truck there. Setting it up for real and checking all the tolerances was invaluable, especially since the 2.0 was new to the market. Their old 1.0 didn’t work… I had already bought a different swing out that I couldn’t make work. Was not going to do that again!

Thank you @cboyd

Now that you guys got me looking, I now need to figure out which of the eleventy-million eBikes to buy. I had no idea there were so many options. :)

@EW6 - I’ve see the Taco go by a few times. Even asked Jonathan at Roko to see if he knew who it was… stop by for a beer sometime!
@cboyd, I definitely will! Drive by your place just about daily.

I guess I’m the lone glutton for punishment roof top mount. My boys recently went up in size but theirs aren’t bad. I’m really eyeing a carbon fiber frame for myself to get below 30lbs.
AEA1E061-B7A1-4462-9EC8-1014C7B00DDE.jpeg

I still have my rooftop bike mounts from regular mountain bikes and kid bikes, but a heavy fat tire ebike of the chonker size we're looking at is in the 65 to 75 lb range. That's more than I'm able to toss up on the roof even if I do remove the battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom