Better than PB blaster and Kano Kroil (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.maine4x4.org
Just an exerpt of an article posted on another forum. Thought it would be good info for wrenchers...

"The April/May 2007 edition of Machinist's Workshop did a test of penetrating oils where they measured the force required to loosen rusty test devices. Buy the issue if you want to see how they did the test. The results reported were interesting. The lower the number of pounds the better. Mighty interesting results for simple acetone and tranny fluid!

Penetrating oil . Average load .. Price per fluid ounce
None ................. 516 pounds .
WD-40 .............. 238 pounds .. $0.25
PB Blaster ......... 214 pounds .. $0.35
Liquid Wrench ... 127 pounds .. $0.21
Kano Kroil ........ 106 pounds .. $0.75
ATF-Acetone mix.. 53 pounds .. $0.10

The ATF-Acetone mix was a 50/50 mix (1 to 1 ratio)."

The author of the original article has confirmed this on the MW forum. (General - The Home Shop Machinist & Machinist's Workshop BBS)

Personally, I've used the ATF-Acetone mix and had very good results. I believe that what's happening is that the acetone breaks down the surface tension of the ATF which allows it to penetrate into the threads. Then the acetone evaporates, leaving the ATF to break down the rust a bit and act as a lubricant."

Interesting :hmm:

How about time...how long did they let it set/soak before attempting to work into the rust?

good stuff, I was replacing my radiator yesterday, and could have used this info on some of the more stubborn bolts yesterday... WD40 worked well enough for me...

A better penetrating oil

Take the Acetone/ATF mix and add kerosene (1/3 Acetone, 1/3 ATF and 1/3 kerosene).

See Coolerman's website at Ed's Red Penetrating Oil.

I'm working on a restoration now and have been using it along with WD40 and PB Blaster (get the cheaper PB Blaster in 1 gallon cans plus you get a metal spray bottle that won't leak like the plastic ones). It works good as an undercoating spray as well just to keep everything coated. I put in some lanolin as well even though I use gloves. Melt the lanolin in a microwave to get it liquified before you mix it. It's still not cheap but is less expensive than Kroll or PB Blaster by the gallon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom