Better Pitcher / hand driven Pump? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wonder if y'all have any advice on manual well pumps,

My family has a chunk of rural FL, it originally had a 20' well that was replaced with a 40' "deep well" about 5 years ago, I put a cheap Chinese pitcher pump on the old well as a back up, it came is quite handy as a hurricane came through and knocked out power (and therefor the well) for a week, went to go get it primed and running again for this hurricane season and found the seals are shot and the bore is badly pitted,

I could go down and just get another cheap Chinese pump for $40 but I would like something better, especially something that does not corrode, cast iron and water are not a good mix when you do not use it daily,

I found a few stainless ones that look great,

Bison Hand Water Pumps

Simple Pump Company -- Hand Lever Pumps, Small Motorized Pumps, Solar Powered Pumps -- Hand Pumps -- Water Pumps

but $700-900 :eek: well beyond my budget,

Also found a plastic pump, it will not corrode and reasonably priced but I can see the plastic getting brittle in a few years and the handle or some other critical part breaking off just when i need it most.

Shallow Well Hand Water Pumps @ Survival Unlimited .com

The 20' well has a 2" galvanized casing and currently a 1" PVC pipe with foot valve, the foot valve needs work also so probably all of that will be replaced,

any advise?

Wound up with the same Chinese pump, $60 this time, they went up, it works for this hurricane season, I don't think these Chinese pumps are worth sending off to be reworked,

Last edited:
A gasoline trash pump can generally pull up to 30'.

A windmill can pull up to 33'ish..

How do you want the pump powered and how much volume do you need?

You could also easily run the pump off of a PTO and your LC

Let me k now if you want a regular pump made in USA.

They still make those?
Roughly how much?

A gasoline trash pump can generally pull up to 30'.

A windmill can pull up to 33'ish..

How do you want the pump powered and how much volume do you need?

You could also easily run the pump off of a PTO and your LC

The pitcher pump is just used when the power goes out which happens at least once a year for at least a day and as long as a week, volume used from the pitcher pump is not much, since you cannot take showers or run the washing machine or the sink faucets with it, probably only 20 gallons a day hauled in buckets.

Ive looked into a windmill and I like idea of a water supply that is not reliant on the grid, but they are expensive

We get a fairly constant breeze off the gulf but the land is forested with massive oaks it would need to be up on a 100' tower to get to that breeze, a 60' tower is $7K, a 100' is probably at least double that,

I want to buy a miller bobcat, welder & generator in one, I have not had the $ to do so.

You need a generator..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom