1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Better Hook for HiLift Jack

Discussion in 'Winching and Recovery' started by jdeng, Nov 13, 2017.

1. jdeng

jdeng

I’ve had a Hi-Lift jack for years, and never used the hook thing on the end. But when I broke the frame on a piece of farm equipment, and was struggling to get the bent/broken parts back into line so I could start welding, I discovered the hook. Absolutely perfect! I rotated it to the hook position, and it was the perfect giant clamp to draw the parts together.

For about two strokes of the handle.
    20171113_213646.jpg
    Then, just when it got hard enough to need both hands on the handle, the hook snapped.

It’s only about a quarter-inch thick, and made of brittle cast iron.

I kludged up something and got my harrow welded back together, and thought “I’m going to draw that hook up and get one cut out of steel." And I sketched up a few things, and it started to get elaborate as I thought up more and more features. And then I started searching the internet, and found out that there are a couple of devices like that on the market already, and kind of lost interest.

But that broken hook has sat on my desk ever since. I never bought one of the fancy ones, the farm equipment budget being more suited to things like used baling wire. And the other day, I was cleaning my desk and decided that even if I couldn’t justify the $50 thing, I still needed to replace the hook on the jack. So out came the calipers, and I started designing a simple hook. I added one feature—a notch for grabbing chain, and made the whole thing out of ½” plate.

Sent the file off to the plasma guy and got back a couple of these:
    20171102_152725.jpg 20171102_152801.jpg 20171102_152930.jpg

Seems to work just fine. If I cut any more, I’ll make them a little bit thicker there along the edge where the teeth are. The chain slot, of course, only works with certain sizes of chain. My all-purpose utility chains are 5/16, and it works fine with that. I think 3/8 will work, but I don’t seem to have one of those anymore. My small 1/4” chains that are normal will fit, but my really strong ones salvaged from a chain hoist won’t.

So, since I’ve got this figured out, and the plasma guy has it programmed, anyone want to buy one of these for $25 plus shipping? It’ll fit in the Priority Mail $7 box. I can probably get 3 in there for the same shipping money.

Welded, and painted with my regular dark green rattlecan primer.

John McVicker likes this.
  2. gilamonster

gilamonster SILVER Star

Nice piece of steel there, looks handy.

3. jdeng

jdeng

Thank you. I'm pretty happy with it. May even wander out to the shop today and paint it.