Belt tensioner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone had any trouble with their belt tensioner? I just took my cruiser into the dealership because of a rather persistant noise from under the hood. Turns out that all three bearings in my tensioner are making noise. My service rep is going to try and have this repair done under warenty but said he can't make any promises at this point, he'll let me know for sure in a couple of days when the parts get in. He also asked if I have had the front of the motor in water. I was under the impression that bearings in general were sealled and it souldn't matter if they get wet.

These FJ idler pulleys are not truly 100% sealed. Any water or mud will infiltrate them pretty quickly. One or two water dunkings is all it takes to make them squeak. I've replaced two of mine that needed cleaning. They run about $40 each, but I was able to salvage one and carefully remove the front seal and clean the bearing out, repack it, and save it as a spare in my tool bag. I've heard that Napa replacements are actually sealed better than the OEM ones. Just never looked up one to see how they differ.

Then if the dealer won't cover it I should definately do it myself. I guess I should be a bit more carefull with cleaning the front of the motor then. Stream crossings and mud puddles are too much fun to stop, but I can just leave the front half dirty after :grinpimp: Although I'm done with mud, only took two trips to remind me that I truly h8mud.

Thanks for the info!

Just picked it up from Wheeler, our local dealer, and it sounds like a truck again (not an airplane). Oh and yes this was a warrenty repair :)

NAPA has replacement pulleys that are sealed.
If you have to buy them (as in not under warrenty)

these are the way to go.

here are the part numbers
upper NBh36173
lower NBh36174

remember the bolt on the tensioner is left hand threaded!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom