Belt squeal... warranty? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My new to me lx570 has a belt squeal. It doesn’t happen when outside temps are below 60degrees. After that, it becomes annoyingly loud. Truck has 58k miles on it and I’m the third owner. Questions:
-is the belt covered under warranty?
-could it be a belt tensioner?

I have a date w Lexusdealer tomorrow. Car is squealing like a pig!

Very likely the tensioner. But could be other things including worn bearings on idlers and components causing undue drag on the belt.

If its a recently purchased (used) truck, it could also have a bunch of cleaner on the belt, from them cleaning the engine bay. Either way, just have them start w/ belt replacement, super easy and cheap even if not on warranty. I'd start there.

If you bought the truck as a Lexus certified used vehicle at a Lexus dealer, be sure to ask about extended warranty coverage. Otherwise, no, it's not under any coverage at 58K miles. The temp issue is interesting; most mechanical noises are worse when cold. Maybe just the belt, per what @Mogwai posted.

Isn’t powertrain under warranty for 6 years?

The engine, transmission, transfer case, third member (rear end differential), and probably things like the drive shafts and axles are considered the power train. Things attached to the engine like the power steering pump, alternator, etc., idler pulleys, belts, tensioners are not.

had this issue on my '13 LX570 last summer. Wait until you see how proud they are of that belt. You can probably go cheaper but I like to stick with factory parts.

Nonetheless, I went ahead and replaced the belt, tensioner and the roller bearing at 78k miles. If you go to the dealer, you're probably going to spend over $500 for this job. I think i spent about $250ish for genuine lexus parts wholesale.

had this issue on my '13 LX570 last summer. Wait until you see how proud they are of that belt. You can probably go cheaper but I like to stick with factory parts.

Nonetheless, I went ahead and replaced the belt, tensioner and the roller bearing at 78k miles. If you go to the dealer, you're probably going to spend over $500 for this job. I think i spent about $250ish for genuine lexus parts wholesale.

you wouldn’t happen to have the part numbers? My squeal only happens when it’s over 80 degrees. On sat morning it was only 75, so I bagged the appt. belt still squealing all day yesterday.

Exact symptoms I was having. Here are the part #s from my invoice.

Belt - 90916-A2033 -- Interestingly, they dropped the price in half since i bought it last year. Lucky you! LOL
Belt Tensioner - 16620-0S012
Idler Pulley - 16603-38012

You may not need to replace all of them, but once you have the belt off, it's fairly simple to just replace all 3 components instead of trying to diagnose which one is bad. At least you'll know it's good to go for a while. I get my parts from mylparts.com since they are my local Lexus dealer and i pick up in person with no shipping. Use code CL5 for another 10% off if you go through them.

When it is warm enough for you to experience the squealing, is it constant or intermittent? Or only when accelerating. Or at idle? More info on the specifics can help. Does it sound like bearing noise if you’re familiar with that?

It’s obviously temperature related but may only be a “glazed” belt or something that can be addressed without having to replace a lot.

If one were using the OEM belt and not an aftermarket belt.

My experience is that it's never just the belt. A squeaking or faulty belt is generally a symptom of some other failing component causing undue wear on the belt.

If I rev the engine it squeaks more and and quiets down. Also, the squeal goes quiet if I turn the steering wheel. Maybe power steering pulley?

If I rev the engine it squeaks more and and quiets down. Also, the squeal goes quiet if I turn the steering wheel. Maybe power steering pulley?

Squeaks more and then gets quieter than it was before or back to the same level?

It’s really difficult to troubleshoot/diagnose from a distance but everyone’s inputs can be helpful obviously. Having access to a dealer or independent shop that you trust, or a buddy that’s worked on and fixed or knows a lot about vehicles would be ideal, however.

Hope you can identify the issue and resolve it soon.

I had the same problem with the belt on mine. I sprayed WD-40 around the inside area of the pulleys and it stopped a couple days later. Try not to hit the rubber with that stuff. I still need to service it.

My tundra had a belt squeal that was worse when it was cold out. the dealer replaced the serpentine belt and it went away. It wasnt that expensive

yes, mine was the same. new belt, idler and pulley fixed it. My advice is to just replace the parts and be done with it, don't waste your money paying for a diagnostic at the dealer.

update. I bought a serp belt, idler pulley, and tensioner pulley from an online toyota dealer. paid 180. Had my indie do the install. paid 170. No more squeak!

The water pump shoiuld have been done then too btw.

Just came here to say I had a squeel on cold mornings and when the A/C would engage. Just a quick chirp. Bothered me a little, swapped out both idlers, tensioner, and swapped the belt for a Gates Fleetrunner (green belt) and its nice and silent. Took a little bit, I pulled the fan and fan shroud and upper radiator hose. Not sure how to do it without unless you have little trump hands. It was a sqeeze even with those items removed. Took an hour or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom