Belt Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

correct belt part number (set of 2) is 90916-02353-83. or at least it is for my 93. i believe they are the same. sorry to laugh but i actually managed to wake up my cat i was laughing so hard when i saw your posted pictures. good luck. avoid dealers like the plauge (with the exception of cdan, of course).

Same for 96, and the A/C belt is 99332-10910-83

Oh man those pix are awful :frown:! Well, FWIW, went to stealership some time in early 2007 for my belts. They could not source the OEM belts:rolleyes:, from any where. So, IIRC, they decided to go across the road to the Mitsubishi dealer and got a pair of Montero belts and installed them :mad:. I told them I would be back in couple hours/days if there's any problem but other than the Non-OEM "hissy" noise, they've been holding up pretty good thus far. They even screwed up wife's 04 4Runner brake job. Anyway, I'm gonna call Dan one of these days get a pair of real belts. I gathered, When it comes to the 80s, very few dealer techs really know what not to do.

:cheers:

UPDATE!! Well, first let me say thank you thank you thank you.

I ended up getting my 80 up to a shop that's only a mile down the road, typed them up a step-by-step on the belt routing, and also the correct part number, as provided above. The belt is on, they're the correct belts, and my 80 lives again.

I owe all of this resolution to you guys, and you alone. The only way this has come to be solved is by your help. Thank all of you so much!! With the pictures and part numbers above, my local mechanic had no trouble, and it now looks identical to the correct picture above.

Is there somewhere I can donate a few bucks to this site? I can't find a link...

One more question: is the god damn AC belt not supposed to be cogged? Because mine is, just realized. All of this has been centered around the other two belts, and now I realize the AC is also cogged... oh geez, here we go again!

One more question: is the god damn AC belt not supposed to be cogged? Because mine is, just realized. All of this has been centered around the other two belts, and now I realize the AC is also cogged... oh geez, here we go again!

Not cogged. Should look similar to the paired belts

The AC belt will probably be fine, mine is the one from Napa and is cogged. If it goes, you just lose AC. I wouldn't worry about it.

Wouldn't sweat the cogged A/C belt, though the slight vibrations will shorten the life of the A/C belt tensioner. Happily, when you renew the belt next, that tensioner pulley and bearing are about $15 and will take you merely about 5 minutes longer to install it when the belt's off.

DougM

It's sad to say this, but I am not shocked by this story. I owned a GX470 before I got my 80, and was back and forth to the dealer several times because they kept incorrectly "fixing" the issue. I was also under the false impression that the dealer would have a bunch of expert mechanics. I think what happens is that they put the new/inexperienced techs on the simple jobs (like belts and oil changes) and nobody checks their work.

I suggest that you don't let this issue go away and you'll need to bypass the lower levels and go to the top. I bet a Google search will yield some nice phone numbers so you can get resolution. Heck, you can probably even find the home phone number for the guy who owns the dealership. In my experience with customer service blunders, the brass never hears about this stuff and they will appreciate that you brought it to their attention.

By the way, isn't this site great? With a couple pics you diagnosed a probelem that the dealers couldn't figure out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom