BeeKeeper Help/Advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Brentbba

Former Golfer
Threads
Help! I've got a cable TV pedestal riser at the corner of my property that has been overrun with bees the past several months. This occurred a couple of years ago and one call to the cable company and they sent someone out that eradicated or removed the bees. Three calls this time and no luck.

They get in either thru a tiny hole on one side or the small opening where the padlock is. Spraying those holes only kills the bees there and does nothing about getting the queen or the rest of the hive inside the pedestal.

This past weekend I duct taped the openings so no more entry/exit. Will the bees trapped inside eventually die? My only other option seems to be cutting off the lock to open the pedestal with vector control there to remove the hive.

Any bee keeper should be interested in getting a free new population, we would but are in europe.
I don't know if these are aggressive type (we only use friendly and if they get to aggressive kill/end the hive)
There are so many bee enemy, they might not survive: List of diseases of the honey bee - Wikipedia
But a bit of poison will not kill them, and probably they will find another entrance or die in a few weeks.
Cutting the lock I don't think is a option, but that is based on stories about usa law and trespassing.

Thanks hj 60. I spoke to the cable company yet again today and let them know in no uncertain terms that I might be 'forced' to cut off their lock and hire my own firm to come out and harvest or eradicate the hive. I may have finally talked to a customer service rep that understood the issue and said that since what is in the pedestal is their property that it was their responsibility to remove the bees. We'll see...

For months I've trimmed bushes around the pedestal. This is the first time I've been attacked and stung. I have to wonder if the hive has been taken over by the more aggressive Africanized honey bee that I know is more aggressive! There was a swarm over my driveway about a month ago. I was hoping they were leaving the pedestal, but I wasn't so lucky. I would very much like the bees to be harvested and moved as they are a necessary part of nature. Shoot, while I didn't have the time to complete it, I did get started on the Bee Keeping merit badge as a kid. If I only had a smoker to put them out and move them myself...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom