Battery terminal upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Sep 11, 2012
Threads
69
Messages
853
Location
Rossland, B.C.
Looking to upgrade my battery terminals yet again. I now have two fat 1/0 cables coming to the starting battery. 1 for the alternator, and one for the winch. Potential to add more in the future would be useful. I've seen the Slee ones, and their price. Looking at some V-Gate and Koss examples. What else are people using, and what issues are there?
 
Looking to upgrade my battery terminals yet again. I now have two fat 1/0 cables coming to the starting battery. 1 for the alternator, and one for the winch. Potential to add more in the future would be useful. I've seen the Slee ones, and their price. Looking at some V-Gate and Koss examples. What else are people using, and what issues are there?

I use welding cable crimp connectors bolted to battery terminal brass wing nuts
 

Attachments

The only thing I put on my battery terminals is what NEEDS to be on them. So I just have quality U.S. made military style terminals with my battery, alternator and winch. I can add easily a smaller proper gauge wire on to feed a fuse panel for anything else. I can find replacement military terminals anywhere or easily carry a couple spares. Plus I don't want to fight that bundle of snakes hanging on to my battery.

I see where some builds might require those huge multi cable terminals though, so I guess it depends on your plans for your truck.
 
Amazon battery clamps with capability of 4 metric bolts on the +ve and also the -ve. Had them on a couple or so years and not had any issues. Easy to remove cables when needed.

mainbat.webp


cheers,
george.
 
The winch and the new alternator both have large gauge cables, so I'm hoping to keep it clean. Large welding lug crimps on both, with a bit of extra length in case I need to redo. Have about 4 smaller ground cables in a stack on the aux battery as well. (threaded stud for battery post) Works, but the tower of connectors on one bolt makes me nervous.
 
^ that's why I went with the battery clamps in my picture. I have an m12000 with uprated 1/0 gauge, the + goes through the switch you see in the pic (so I can normally have the winch with no power) and then 1/0 from the switch to the bat+. The winch - goes direct to the bat- (1/0 gauge again). I use to have mil battery connectors, but I'm much happier with the sturdy clamps I now have with 4 threaded attachment points.

Pic before the +bat cover - all 4 bolt locations utilized :)

mainbat1.webp


cheers,
george.
 
I have had about 4 iterations of terminals, including the milspec ones. With winch, new alt, aux battery, I need to stay organized for safety and troubleshooting. My winch is on a big Blue Sea switch like that also. I'm looking at the terminals on amazon closely now. V-gate I think they are.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom