Battery or altenator

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Dec 27, 2009
Threads
41
Messages
262
Location
potter valley california
Hi I drove my 60 the other day I shut it off and it wouldn’t start. I jumped it and when I got home I put it on a charger. Ever since it’s started right up. Today I was taking out in the mountains to my buddies ranch and after it started I checked the voltage because the battery gauge on the dash was reading about 10 volts. Just out of the red. It’s usually at 12 or higher depending on rpm’s. So o checked voltage today while running I was at 12.26 at the battery. I turned headlights on (still while running) and it went down to 12. I drove it for a few hrs today and the battery gauge stayed the same around 10. After getting home I was reading 12.37 volts. What is my issue. BTW it fires up flawlessly.
 
Any auto parts can check the alternator and battery for free. My general rule is to check all the accessories without the engine on. If they aren’t working properly battery is low (but not necessarily the problem). If it improves after starting the alternator is probably fine - so could be battery. If not better - probably alternator. Alternator fine =runs great while engine running. Battery bad=won’t start after running and alternator charging.

Unfortunately with fusable links and voltage regulators this is just a simplification which is why a direct check with a tester is better.
 
You can now get a cheap Digital Alternator/Battery tester on Amazon. Good tool to have. Or, you can take it to a auto parts store for testing.

On Amz, some are as low as $12, but I'd spend a little more to get one than can tell you the condition of the battery after a load is applied.

If you have multimeter that reads DC amps and/or volts, you can check the Alt and resting Battery voltage that way, too. If Voltage exceeds 15v, regulator is bad.
 
Back
Top Bottom