Battery Cable Replacement... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This may very well be and perhaps Odyssey HAS managed to combine a starting battery with the benefits of a deep cycle. That's all fine and good. I am telling you that I WOULD NOT do that for myself. I will ALWAYS be using a dedicated starting battery as my main battery and a deep cycle as an aux.

I may be wrong in that Odyssey can do both, I am not wrong in deciding to NOT do that for my own vehicle.

What are the issues of using a deep cycle battery as your main battery? I'm totally confused now! I just want to put a battery in the rig and not have to worry about it or it damaging other components down the road.

Doran

I was the second post on this thread and I mentioned fitting the new cables, and I did this with the Sears Platinum, which is a recased Odyssey. So I am running the exact setup you are about too, and you will be fine. I have been doing it and have had zero negative results and personally know people that run an optima as a starting battery. don't worry about the above conversation so much for your application, they are both right in different ways, however I agree with Sean.

Guys the subject I am bringing up is NOT an Optima vs Odyssey/Sears Platinum discussion. Its not even an AGM vs wet-cell discussion. For me its purely a standard start battery vs. deep cycle as a main. Sorry if this is totally off topic to the OP, I just wanted to give out my knowledge and experience. Thats all.

It probably doesn't matter if you use an Odyssey Marine DC as a main or aux because of how well built they are. Just saying, I wouldn't. And I have tons of extra stuff on my truck, maybe too much. So I want to make sure I reduce my chances of remaining stranded, remote as they may be.

To Clarify things for you all...
There's a difference between a true deep cycle battery like you would buy for your trolling motor or your RV and a "dual purpose" battery like the Odyssey or the Optima. NLXTACY is correct that the true deep cycle would suck as a main battery, but the dual purpose batteries like are being discussed here would be fine in a starting application, and are designed to be used like that. They aren't as good for a deep cycle application, though. I can wreck an Optima in less than 6 months trolling in my boat, where I can get two years out of a cheapo Costco group 27 lead acid battery.

Well I bit bullet and returned the battery for one that would fit. I did't have the time to extend the cables and no matter how much I pulled\wiggled the batt cables, they were not going to fit. Thanks everyone for the deep cycle vs. starting batt lesson. Much info was gained!

Doran

hey if you wanna change your cables sometime let me know. I am more than happy to help, done it on several trucks including my 80. just let me know.

which battery did you end up with?
diehard group 27

hey if you wanna change your cables sometime let me know. I am more than happy to help, done it on several trucks including my 80. just let me know.

Dang, where were you yesterday:frown: I definitely wanna change them. Thanks for the offer! I will shoot you a PM when I get the new cables.

I would have loved to have helped you yesterday....I am in hell...opps Vegas at my daughter's cheerleading competition...I hate Vegas.... so feel free to pm me when you are ready to swap the cables....

I would have loved to have helped you yesterday....I am in hell...opps Vegas at my daughter's cheerleading competition...I hate Vegas.... so feel free to pm me when you are ready to swap the cables....

Yea, Vegas longer than 2 days is torture! Will Do...

War Effort

Somewhat amused with this discussion, for 2 reasons:

1. Odyssey batteries are made by EnerSys. I've tried to purchase one a couple of times at BatterysPlus in Topeka. THEY NEVER HAVE ONE IN STOCK & ALWAYS SAY NEXT SHIPMENT IS X MONTHS OFF.
  2. EnerSys has made that SEARS battery for a couple of years now.

EnerSys/Hawker has a plant in Warrrensburg, MO, ODYSSEY Batteries - Contact Us why can't a battery chain get them in KS?
My guess, & yes it's educated on the 9 months I worked for Tank Automotive Command: Hawker AGM Battery Charging info - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite

The demand our Armed Forces have for batteries in Iraq, Afghanistan, Kuwait, etc. has likely exceeded production of some models, like the metal-jacketed ones that are never in stock.

How does SEARS keep them in stock? Good Q. And what effect does MUD members snapping them up have on our war effort?

As for the AGM starter vs. DEEP CYCLE debate: Just another educated guess, but I'd be surprised Uncle Sam's Depots keep 2 NSN #s in stock of an identical battery.

SARGE: Beetle, go get another battery for Gen. Halftrack's HMMWV. Zero left the lights on for a nightlight again.

Beetle: Deep Cycle or Starting SARGE?

Otto: Dang, Beetle, you can't outrun Sarge before breakfast!

I'm guilty of owning OPTIMA for too many years (18 in a FJ62). Switched to Champion (Monkey Wards AGM) & finally Excide (Marine) & Starting. If you've ever bought an OEM Toyota hold-down bracket, the premium for a non-corroding, AGM battery is well worth the $avings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom