Battery bar corrosion? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've started getting this corrosion on the battery bar and not sure what to do about it. My guess is, it is related to the ground some how as the bar only touches the frame near the ground connection. Any thoughts on it?

IMG_0073.jpeg

Yes, it's a chemical reaction due to the lead acid battery you have in place. These have sulfuric acid in them and as they charge some of the fumes can leach into the air around it, carrying the dissolved acid with it. As the material then rests on the carbon steel surfaces of the exposed metal, it creates a chemical reaction, oxidizing the carbon steel it has come into contact with, thus, causing what you see.

Yes, remove the retaining bar, clean it with soap and water, clean it with a grinder to remove the oxidation, then recoat with an epoxy primer and topcoat. Then, if you want that extra layer of protection, dip it in rubber to give it a nice thick coating that is flexible.

Or you can buy a new retainer.

The first thing you need to do is neutralize the battery acid with a mixture of baking soda and water. Liberally pour it over the battery, as it reacts it will turn a blue/green color. I would remove the connections and pour the solution over the battery posts and terminals. I would remove the battery and pour more over the bottom of the battery box to neutralize and acid that made it down that far. There is a potential that the acide can attack the metal of the inner fenders.

Although acid spills are frequent with lead acid batteries it is not normal. Spilled acid can be from an overfilled battery, the battery not being secured properly, overcharging by the alternator or a failure of the battery case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom