Baselining? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok I tried searching, I tried the FAQ. They all mention it, but none explain it. WTF is base-lining? I understand it to be some sort of maintenance procedure you go through right when you first get your used 80. I'd love some more details. :bang: thanks!

Baselining is getting your truck to square one basically:

• hoses
• belts
• tune-up
• filters (all)
• brakes
• tire rotation, fill
• coolant flush
• grease packing (bearings)
• lubricating
• etc

It means getting your truck to a point where if anything else goes wrong you can say, "well its not the hose cuz I just changed that".

Watch out for the last one on the list "etc". ;)
k
There is no hard list so to speak of base lining. If you already checked or replaced or maintenance'd a particular part of your truck, you know where ground zero is in case something happens :)

Baselining is getting your truck to square one basically:

• hoses
• belts
• tune-up
• filters (all)
• brakes
• tire rotation, fill
• coolant flush
• grease packing (bearings)
• lubricating
• etc

It means getting your truck to a point where if anything else goes wrong you can say, "well its not the hose cuz I just changed that".

etc includes:

PHH
ATF flush/fill
Oil change
Diffs and tansfer case fluuid change
Water pump
Plugs, wires, dist cap & rotor
etc etc:doh:

etc includes:

PHH
ATF flush/fill
Oil change
Diffs and tansfer case fluuid change
Water pump
Plugs, wires, dist cap & rotor
etc etc:doh:

LOL

birfs
tre's
fan clutch

Dont forget your head gasket ;) :popcorn::doh::doh:

Someone should put together a comprehensive list. I just wanted to list the basics. :flipoff2:

Fly Rod - what is PHH?

I'll step in for sleeping boy and say its the "Pesky Heater Hose". Its a small hose behind the block that connects an aluminum hose to a steel home and between electrolysis, heat and movement this stupid thing fails. Why is it stupid? Because its a bitch to get to. No baseline is complete without replacing the PHH.

Best advice is to closely inspect your veh (or have someone do it that knows this type of veh) and change what NEEDS to be changed. When I purchased mine two years ago, I waited a year to change the seals in the front axle. I did not need to change the coolant, trans fluid, brakes or the infamous PHH - mine looks fine. Only you can determine what needs to be done to "baseline" your veh. My 0.02C:D.

I'll step in for sleeping boy...

You obviously don't chase 3yo twins around all day!:flipoff2:

Best advice is to closely inspect your veh (or have someone do it that knows this type of veh) and change what NEEDS to be changed. When I purchased mine two years ago, I waited a year to change the seals in the front axle. I did not need to change the coolant, trans fluid, brakes or the infamous PHH - mine looks fine. Only you can determine what needs to be done to "baseline" your veh. My 0.02C:D.

If you receive good maint. records from your PO I think your logic is fine. For the rest of us there is no way to tell how old or what type of fluids have been used. I would also wiegh how easily access to parts is in your area. Not so good around here so I stay way ahead of things, usually. If your PHH looks good and fails 80 miles from a town who is going to walk? If you aren't wheeling let those birfs click all you want. There is no road side assistance in the back country.

:cheers:

No PO maint records, and no birf click clicks...going wheeling this weekend. Like I said only "you" can determine/ decide what needs to be done. Using your logic I would be changing my head gasket this weekend before it fails just in case.

etc....

Forgot the:
mufler bearings
chingaso
widget
thingamagig
changing the air in the tires
undercoating
scotchguard
desitination charges
tax
licensing
etc:lol:

Sorry stole the muffler bearing, that had me laughing out loud a few months ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom