Baja Utility Rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thought I would throw up a couple picks of my new Baja Rack utility rack. Love it, very sturdy.

Couple things:

- One of my roof rack retaining brackets dropped down into the headliner. Was very, very careful about backing the two bolts out at the same time but it still dropped

- The rack is very low... but I can no longer open my sunroof. It's a bummer, but I almost never used it anyway.

Seems to be very well built, can't wait to start adding some stuff up there!

IMG_0303.jpg

IMG_0305.jpg

IMG_0306.jpg

That TJM bullbar is looking great. I have one on my F350 and it's holding up great after over 10 years. I think I prefer them to the ARB equivalent. BajaRack also makes a phenomenal product...you'll be very happy with it as well.

Nice looking rack.. is there any rubbing between the roof and the baja deflector? Also Do you remember how much is the weight of your TJM bulbar.Just comparing it with the ARB one...

Hi, yes the wind deflector just barely touches the roof, which I fixed by putting three little felt tabs in the very front. If I recall the TJM bumper weighs right around 80 pounds (36.28 kilos).

I like the fact that the rack is low - allowing easy entry into low garages, etc.

However, the facts that the front of the rack contacts the roof and the sunroof becomes unuseable are definite deal breakers for me. :whoops:

I think if the rack were properly engineered, it would clear the roof and sunroof.

:cheers:

That wind deflector is going to destroy your roof if you put any weight on the front of that rack and drive on any washboards. I'd be sending that back. Go and stand up there and watch what happens.

Hmm, I may ask them to send me new legs for the rack then. Maybe something 1.5 inches taller?

Is it possible the rack is on upside-down? :confused:

No lol, it's not upside down. I walked up and down it last night and it barely flexed at all. The front of the wind deflector has felt underneath it so it didn't damage the roof at all. I went and looked at their other flat utility racks (for other trucks) and it seems that many of them are about 1/4 to 1/8 inch from the roof. Seems like it is by design.

Not being able to open the sunroof doesn't really bother me, but it does bug the wife. But the reality is we rarely if ever used it, so it's mostly in our heads.

I went and looked at their other flat utility racks (for other trucks) and it seems that many of them are about 1/4 to 1/8 inch from the roof.

I'm also looking at racks for my 200, but I can't find the rack you have on any web site :hmm:

Have yopu got a link to where I can view it?

TIA

:cheers:

There is the standard rack with a basket, and there is the utility racks.

Standard Rack: http://www.bajarack.com/toyota-land-cruiser-200-standard-rack

Flat Utility Rack: http://www.bajarack.com/lc80-ut

For some reason they don't have pictures of the Utility Rack up on the 200 page, but that's what I bought. They are designed to carry roof top tents.

Spoke with Baja and they are sending me new legs that are about 1 inch taller to help with my clearance issues. They have been great to work with. Thanks for the input everyone!

Got it!

Thanks very much.

Spoke with Baja and they are sending me new legs that are about 1 inch taller to help with my clearance issues. They have been great to work with. Thanks for the input everyone!

any pics with the new brackets? what is your rack height now from your roof top.
thanks
cheers
Mjkr

Just an FYI the with the standard rack you can open the sun roof popup.

Hi yes, I installed the new legs that were 1/2 taller than 1 inch taller because I was more concerned about height than the sunroof working.

One important recommendation, if you order the Baja Rack Utility Rack, is to make sure to get the supporting legs that go under the wind screen or you will have resonance issues with the front of the rack.

Looking at your second picture I notice that the crossbars are bent down at the ends where it meets the side bars. How high above the side bars do the crossbars sit? It looks like it's not a completely flat rack on top.

Hi guys at this time I cannot recommend the Baja Rack (utility) for the Landcruiser 200.

I'm not trying to poo poo on anyone, as the people at Baja Rack that I've spoken to have been very courteous and professional, but I made a mistake by not picking the Ezi Awn or Front Runner flat racks. A couple things:

1. The feet that shipped with the rack were too short (causing the wind screen to bend the rack in a U shape)
  2. One of the original rear feet were mis-stamped, causing me to do my 1st install wrong
  3. The replacement feet elevated the rack to the proper height but caused another severe problem
  4. The fix for the problem was very poorly engineered

Long story, but the original feet were too short, which caused the rack to physically curve up at the wind screen, actually scratching my roof. After dealing with John and Alex at Baja, they sent me a new set of feet that raised the rack 1/2 inch, but lead to a severe problem.

Basically, the rack extends too far beyond the front legs, and above 60 miles an hour a profound resonance starts (that starts slamming the wind deflector up and down on top of the truck right behind the windshield). This is caused by buffeting winds that push the wind deflector up and down, that eventually causes an uncontrollable rebound effect. My temporary fix was to stick rubber feet underneath the wind deflector, which stopped the beginning of the resonance (wind deflector being pushed down). Not ideal, as I now have three points under the wind deflector touching my roof.

Baja Rack's fix was to send me a very poor fitting and unsightly set of feet that sits in front of the sun roof under the deflector... and which is not physically bolted to the rack (pressure mounted). Something I fear could easily fall loose after a couple bumps and effectively smash my sunroof. At this time I will stick with my temporary solution, but I'm not very happy.

The only reason I haven't requested a RMA is that several of my retaining bolts fell into my headliner when I put the rack feet on in the first place, and I really don't want to go through the pain of having that happen again.

Here is how it sits today. The front is still curved up by a few degrees, but nothing big.

IMG_0388.jpg

Here is how it sits today. The front is still curved up by a few degrees, but nothing big.

Hmmm this is worrying me .. I'm about to order this rack with special low length brackets (something like dt255 got) ... DT255, are you experiencing the same flexing? Ill be carrying load but no roof top tent etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom