Axle Id (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

One last question. The Local boneyard has a couple of 40s that might have the fine splined axles. Can I swap out the innards or do I need to replace the whole assembly?

Just changing birfields can cause some problems with hubs interchanging. And if you are going to pull it apart, why not just go disc brake knuckles and all? Gives you a good reason to redo the trunion bearings, seals, and check the knuckle preload. The amount of people that break birfields with only 31's is pretty minimal, but at least they under $5 a piece. And if you swap and go mini truck, you can get some aisin hubs which are much nicer than the old warns.

That all is very helpfull, however, I was wondering if I need to change out the whole axle asssembly, carrier and everything, in order to upgrade. Sorry for the confusion.
thanks again,
Dan

Dan- You can go about it in two different ways- you can get the whole axle from a 40/55 and swap the housing, diff, everything, or you can go get a mini truck axle. The mini axle will let you keep your diff, and axle housing. You'll just swap the knuckles out, which nets you disk brakes, larger knuckle bolt pattern, larger birfields, and maybe aisin hubs. You'll retain your '69 inner axle since they are fine spline and will work.

Next time I'm out and about I'll put that birf in your shop. Can't make it wheeling either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom