Auxillary high beams (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DickM

SILVER Star
Threads
I have an 84 fj60 with slcfj62's harness and H4 housings.
I had one of the harness relays wired to come on with the stock high beam switch and would like to add lights to make this happen.
What would you guys recommend as far as a light choice for this scenario? Keeping in mind that I would prefer a simple, old school looking, ARB front bumper mounted, no light bar type solution.
The truck will be used as an "expedition" type vehicle, spending equal time on and off road.

Borg Wagner H4's but good lucky finding some, i have look for them for years byt they actually appreciate, yes they are that good....
Cara%20%26%20Lauren%20at%20the%20beach%20004-XL.jpg

Borg Wagner AUX Light on the 12GS - ricardo kuhn (patineto)

After a few months of research, I decided to go with the Rigid D2 driving lights. They had four light pattern options: driving, wide, diffuse, and hyperspot. The 2 light kit I got came with the lights plus a harness which included wiring, relay, light connectors and dash switch.

I went with the driving pattern as the combination of side and distance lighting seemed to be best for my intended use.

While he Auxbeam lights I originally looked offered a similar light pattern, I chose the Rigids because they accomplished the pattern with reflector optics as opposed to the Auxbeam's externally applied plastic diffuser lens. And while I know I paid a premium for the brand, I was very happy with the quality of the lights and harness; the plug connectors for the lights were a sealed waterproof Deutsch connector, and everything else was of similar quality.

My install was slightly custom. I wanted to be able to disable the Rigids for day to day driving so that I still could use the hi-beams without them coming on, and yet still have the option off-road of them coming on with the stock hi-beams.

The @slcfj62 wiring harness I had previously installed had the provision for one of the spare relays to be triggered by the stock Hi- beam switch. I intercepted the "trigger" wire for this relay, and ran it through a dash mounted switch. With the dash switch in the off position, the relay to the Rigids does not close when Hi-beams are selected at the stock switch, so they do not come on. With the dash switch on, the Rigids come on when the hi-beam switch is selected.

No action pictures yet. In conjunction with this, I upgraded the bulbs in the H4 housings to 80/100, so I need to get everything aimed properly, so I will take some pics then.

And I know I said "old school" looking in my original post, but the LEDs made a lot of sense as I didn't want to block any more airflow to the radiator than was absolutely necessary. The 2FE had a series of cooling problems which are now resolved, but I am a little gun shy in that department, so the smaller size was a big factor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom