Auxiliary lights getting power when headlights are off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trying to figure this out and I know there's a simple explanation I'm missing. I'm attempting to trigger my LED light bar off the high beam switch using a standard 4-pin relay. I know the GX 470 high beams are negatively switched. I've installed the relay as show below and I'm triggering pin 85 via pig tail on the negative wire connected to my high beam bulb. And this works when the headlights are ON. With the headlights ON, pin 87 is NOT getting power. I can then turn on my high beams which then sends power to pin 87 illuminating my LED light bar as expected. The problem is that when my headlights are OFF, pin 87 is getting constant power.

I confirmed this with the circuit tester. I checked both positive and negative of my high beam bulb housing and BOTH positive and negative are getting constant power off the battery (no key in the ignition, headlight switch off).

I just assumed that the negative lead would not be energized unless the high beam switch in the cabin was switched to on... but that's not the case. When the headlights are ON, it's only THEN that the negative wire of the high beam circuit is de-energized.

What am I missing? Why is the high beam negative lead (ground trigger source) getting constant power when the GX is off and when the headlights are switched off?

1686504691424.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom