Events/Trails August Sierras, Dates - 8/17-21 (1 Viewer)

Which dates do you prefer?

• 8/10-14

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • 8/17-21

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.phalconoverland.com
With the road finally open we are good to go. It should be an interesting year. The road up might be the easiest it's been but once up there, tough to say. We will likely see snow and depending on how much have to adjust our trips to the lakes. The snow melt lake at the campsite will probably be full for the first time since I have been going up there. We might have issues with bugs so we should be prepared. However, the fishing should be at its best (Yellow lures with black stripes work very well). If you are bringing kids, bring bikes if you can, they enjoy riding around camp. They also might want to jump in a lake (my 4 year old went in his underwear last year) so keep that in mind.

For those that haven't been up there, it is remote so you'll want to bring everything you'll need for as many days. The campsite is well protected from wind and usually sees mild nightime temperatures but at almost 10k' weather is naturally unpredictable so be prepared for warm days and cold nights. An extra tarp incase we see rain isn't a bad idea.

Comms: Same as usual, GMRS 22, CB 22, FRS 22, or HAM 146.490. I haven't used a CB in years so please post up if that's what you'll bring so I can bring my spare.

Agenda:

Thursday: We aiming to leave Escondido by 7:30AM. We are meeting nckwltn in Bishop and so we'll spend Thursday night in town and drive up as a group in the morning.

Since we are such a small group we'll likely improvise our activities but I'll leave these up as inspiration for future trips.

Friday: We'll depart Bishop for the flats. Let's let this be an acclimation day and wheel into Funnel Lake for lunch. We haven't gone into Funnel in a few years and it's nice to let the kids practice casting so they can be better prepared to slay those little trout!

Saturday: Where does that road go day. Based on feedback we'll pass on Green Lake. If anyone wants to go they certainly can but the hike out is just plain hard. Let's make this an easy day where you can go explore or just hang at camp. I am very tempted to bring my mountain bike and see if I can even do it at that elevation.

Sunday: Based on SD60's report we definitely want to hit up Baker Lake. We can probably hike fast enough to hit up both Baker and Hidden lakes if we want.

Monday: I am thinking we scale back breakfast to facilitate an easier pack up. We'll head back down the mountain and make for home.

Attendees:
- Elripster + 12 year old son
- Butch F
- nckwltn
- Landcruising

Menu:

Thursday:

- Dinner: Whatever's easy, it will have been a long day on the road.

Friday:
- Breakfast:
- Elripster: Eggs, bacon hashbrowns

- Dinner: Dutch oven whatever you can come up with.

Saturday:
- Breakfast

- Dinner: Mexican, maybe do buffet style.

Sunday:
- Breakfast

- Dinner: Burgers or surprise us.

Monday: Quick breakfast then home.

How to get there: If not caravaning, simply Google funnel lake. When on the flats, you will make a right turn per the picture below over a small hill and drop into the camping area. If you get to where you turn right for funnel, you want to turn around and go back to this turn.

Where we camp:
1624399059012.png

1690912981566.png

Frank

Last edited:
Oh man! I'm backpacking Kearsarge to Whitney from 9/4-9/8. I was hoping to catch everyone over the Labor Day weekend.

Any way you can get a pass? Don't you have summers off / light? There are advantages to before vs. Labor Day. Was trying to go earlier before the various schools started to make it easier for the kiddos to attend. Also, likely lighter crowds going earlier.

Frank

This trip is always an adventure. There are loads of pictures from past years to browse at your leisure.

I was looking up road closures and per the Forest service they hope to have Coyote Flats road open in the next 3 weeks (per June 15th) which bodes well for our trip.

Frank

I'm hoping we can make itbworknthis year and can get Jen and Owen down there.
That would be awesome. I'll have the whole heard as well. Let me know if you bring your MTB.

Frank

The road is still closed. They are working to get it open. In the event the Forest Service doesn't get it done, I am working on a plan B.

Frank

Any updates, trying to make it work, but unfortunately my son likely not going, they moved up SD school start dates, and he has 3 games in football and basketball.

I am monitoring the forest service site daily for updates on the road. For fallback plans, am thinking Laurel lakes or farther north past bishop.

We will make it work one way or another.

Frank

Good question. Laurel Lakes is just north of Bishop. My buddy did his mountain warfare training in Bridgeport and found a bunch of overlanding trails. I am up for suggestions.

Frank

Bridgeport is beautiful. I've heard there are some good trials. Keep me posted. I'm still trying to make this and trying to talk the wife into letting the kid skip a few days of school.

Awesome. I wish I had known about the school schedules. Next time we can move it up to clear everyone's schedule.

Frank

The schools start beginning of August up here. It's just first grade so if he misses a few days shouldn't matter. If not I'll try and make a solo trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom