Attention 100 Series Owners! Change your heater T's ASAP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A huge thank you to this amazing club for their knowledge. A lot of you had been telling us 100 series owners to change our heater T's if we haven't changed them in a while. I changed mine out this weekend with Toyota OEM( $14each Toyota Carlsbad with our discount for being a club member). When I went to change my now and I couldn't believe my eyes mine were actually completely cracked all the way through in multiple spots one actually pretty much disintegrated when I went to remove it. I recommend removing the hoses as well and washing them out from the plastic particles if you encounter that yours have been deteriorated very badly. In the end it was a pretty easy job with a pair of pliers and a thick blanket to lay over the engine once it's cool. A big thanks to all you again for passing on your knowledge and keeping our rigs running!!
20190616_183014.jpg
20190616_183014.jpg
20190616_183024.jpg
20190616_183316.jpg
20190615_203228.jpg

Do you always run with the dust cover off? I always wondered if there was a reason for it besides the cleaner look for those owners that are engine averse.

Great advice on the T’s. I have heard horror stories of people dropping all of their coolant at highways speeds and not knowing about it until the overheated.

Some of the guys found their engine running cooler after removal. I haven't really noticed a big difference yet.

why didn't you use metal t's? This is the first thing any 100 owner should do.

Last edited:
I think Toyota service internal for those are with the timing belt so every 100k miles... 30k may be a little too aggressive. 😜

In talking with some of the Toyota experts out there and they said that due to the coolant used in pre-2004 it's a little stronger than the pink coolant and you do not want to have possible reaction with the metal. Even if it's stainless they said
@surfovetland can you explain the reason not to use stainless T’s?

@surfovetland can you explain the reason not to use stainless T’s?
In talking with some of the Toyota experts out there and they said that due to the coolant used in pre-2004 it's a little stronger than the pink coolant and you do not want to have possible reaction with the metal. Even if it's stainless they said

Usually, what people are really referring to when they say electrolysis is galvanic or dissimilar metal corrosion. Galvanic corrosion is caused by self-induced current created by electrical potential of two dissimilar metals in contact with an electrolyte. It can occur when two dissimilar metals (such as copper tube and steel pipe) are connected in the presence of an electrolyte (water).

This video is very helpful on how to test your coolant and he touches on why it is bad to mix metals.

It isnt something that will ruin your engine in 10k miles but in another 150k it may start to have issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom