AT problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,
I have an ‘88 FJ62 with stock engine and AT. It has started slipping when trying to shift from 2nd to 3rd so to speak. If I ease up a bit it’ll settle in and start going again, but after it warms up a bit, it doesn’t want to go out of 2nd. Then I’m running about 4000 rpm to get it to go 35mph. I was told it could be the clutch or valve body, but recommended to do a transmission fluid flush first to see if that would clear it up.
1. Anyone have this problem before and have any insight for me?
2. How much ATF will I need for a full flush?

Hey all,
I have an ‘88 FJ62 with stock engine and AT. It has started slipping when trying to shift from 2nd to 3rd so to speak. If I ease up a bit it’ll settle in and start going again, but after it warms up a bit, it doesn’t want to go out of 2nd. Then I’m running about 4000 rpm to get it to go 35mph. I was told it could be the clutch or valve body, but recommended to do a transmission fluid flush first to see if that would clear it up.
I had very similar symptoms with my 62. I did the Rodney flush and some adjustments to the kickdown cable, new filter, etc. Definitely improved for about 6 months. I had a couple cases of AT fluid on hand so I can’t say exactly how much I went through though.
The bad news- after six months it got worse again quickly, to the point I had to park it. I actually just finished a transmission swap with a rebuilt unit from Valley Hybrids/Cruiser Brothers. Hopefully you have better luck with the flush. Based on my experience it will at least buy you some time.

Hey all,
My experience was the same as @Cardinal62

The one thing that I didn't do, and wish that I did, considering the outcome (a new Rodney Special from Georg... which is amazing by the way).

Do a search for "The Party Trick"...

Get up to 55mph and throw the transmission into P (if I recall), then back to D. I didn't have the guts to do it. BUT, many members here have done it.

You are already on borrowed time with the symptoms you're experiencing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom