Are 1997 defenders Piece of Garbage like all rovers? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

They have certainly failed in the marketplace against Japanese trucks. What defines better or worse is certainly viewpoint. I do know fellows that had driven loads of landrovers while living in Botswana and South Africa, and were happy with them.

Fixes are usually easy, as you describe, usually with basic tools. I can buy OEM parts out of the UK, here to me the same week. Way lower parts costs than Toyota.

Genuine parts for LR are usually unnecessary. I choose not to use the local dealer network, who would want to pay through the nose?

Their new post-defender vehicles are certainly garbage. More for show than for go. That said, I expect LR should go out of business soon, as nowdays it should just be a rebadged Jaguar AWD.

They defenders are maintenance-heavy, but certainly they're not as bad as they're made out to be if properly maintained.

@wapitimud ...... "It has no cab. Everything just bolts together. Apples and oranges."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well in that case I guess my Defender wasn't "bolted together" well enough to keep my shoes and socks dry while driving in a rain shower. :)

Yours was made on a Friday before a long weekend. There's groups of farmers who love John Deere too. They have green John Deere mailbox, wear John Deere underwear too.

Yup, a new John Deere would be a more advanced tractor than an old Massey Ferguson or a David Brown. I would personally rather deal with fixing an older MF or DB, but to each their own.

Quite the same with LC and LR.

Having owned a 1985 Land Rover110 bnuilt in Australia and driven it on four continents I have to say it is the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. The Australians fitted the ISUZU 4BD and mated it to the 4 speed LT95 gearbox. My wife and I drove it extensively in Africa, Europe an North America getting to countries as diverse as Mozambique, Morocco and Malawi and as far north as Fairbanks Alaska. An alternator brush failed in Namibia and an idiot in the UK put GL5 oil in the gearbox so a synchro wore but other than that it was unstoppable. We sold it on two years ago at 400,000 Km and it is still going strong. I just got a bit old to climb the rooftop tent ladder.......

P1010634.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom