ARB Compressor & 2 switches - Installation Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need a little help from you guys on ARB switch wiring. I have everything installed on my 1982 FJ40 - Compressor, Front & Rear Lockers, and most of the wiring hooked up. NEED HELP with the ignition and lighting wires for the switches.

What is the best place, in a 1982 FJ40, to hook the ignition (red yellow) wire and the dash light (blue white) wire off the ARB harness? Do I need to buy some type of fuse tap, or wire taps to do this. Need to know which specific wires under the dash, or fuse terminal to use.

Please be specific - a picture of the hook-up location would be fantastic! Thanks in advance. JD

You could use fuse taps off of the fuse block or wire taps, but I used an auxiliary fuse block (powered straight from the battery) to do mine. It's a lot more sanitary than using wire or fuse taps, but more work for sure. Then you have to find a place to put the aux. fuse block too - I put mine in a Con-Ferr tool box behind my seats. I'll attach a photo of it if I can find one.

Depending on which ARB compressor you have your factory loom will be very unhappy with you if you plug it in.

I recommend feeding it directly off the battery on a relay and if you must activate the relay from your ignition.

Sorry, I don't understand your second sentence above (and if you must activate the relay from your ignition) - is this what you meant to say?? I have the older model compressor - see pic. Instructions imply that I should just hook it into a lighting source, and an ignition source. Would love to see some pics of what others have done! Thanks!

1 - Existing Battery.jpg

Do you know what model it is ?

Compressors have a bad habit of big amp draws and the ignition wire is not a good place to add the load.
What you wand to do is get a 30 or 40 amp relay and wire the compressor draw wires (yellow) to it then the battery. Then use your ignition wire to switch it on . When on using the factory ARB loom the ARB switch will then turn it off and on safely. The lighting source you can get lots of place it is low amp draw so back of dash switch dimmer output is easiest and let's you dim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom