Anyone have experience ... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well. I pushed the button on this yesterday. It'll go into my K5; well see how it does.

I have a Yaesu FT1900r here in the truck, and that has been working well (except for one glitch); I use Chirp for programming.

I wanted the transmission range to extend beyond the HAM 2m band.

Yeah, if you want to go beyond the Ham band, then many of the chicom stuff does that. So for that purpose I can see the attraction of this grey area of the chicom rigs... Much like baofeng handhelds can tx/rx on the frs/gmrs bands...

cheers,
george.

To George's point HRO was selling the FTM3200 for $134......it is the 3100 radio he linked, but with Yaesu's fusion digital mode.

Regarding the OP radio, I personally do not like radios (or cameras) for that matter without buttons. Going thru a menu or programming via the mic is a hassle. The labels on my Icom wore off on the mic and now??????

I plan on programming with CHIRP. I made the choice because of the extended TX range, otherwise I would have stuck with an offering from Yaesu or Kenwood. And I've yet to wear out the mic on any radio...

Last edited:
I'm curious, what frequencies outside ham bands do you want/need to access?

Although it is a delicate process, opening up a radio for extended transmit is quick and easy. you can do so with your Yaesu, which is a far superior radio.

I agree with George, I would've spent the extra money for the Yaesu 3100/3200 and opened that one up.

Disclaimer: We're assuming you're a licensed ham and you're aware that this is illegal. Do so at your own risk.

Assume what you want. I am a licensed Ham, but not really part of the Ham community. When the time comes, I want access to frequencies used by an Ultra4 racing team. At that time I will have the necessary permits. Until then, it will be a regular 2m radio. Or it'll go on CL, or in the it-may-or-may-not-work-but-by-now-I've-forgotten-about-it pile....

I read up on modding the Yaesu and decided I have no intent on possibly ruining a perfectly working radio. And as for the $ value, I can assure everyone that compared to what $$$$ I've sunk into that truck, the price for trying out that radio is but a drop in the bucket :)

Last edited:
Well, we're off to a good start here :). I had ordered the VHF radio - instead they sent me the UHF version of the radio, in a box indeed labelled VHF. Amazon return imminent.

The harness had two blown fuses... incidentally, the instructions begin by stating that if there is a strange smell emanating from the radio upon powering it up, one ought to switch the radio off immediately... :)

Dear God.... The yaesu is looking better :rolleyes:

Good luck with 2nd try, but plan for 3rd try lucky :lol: and keep halon extinguisher ready...

cheers,
george.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom