Anyone available for immediate help-Vacuum unit Fork change (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

spdwaver

Formerly Kalifornistanian
Threads
Got the new shift fork for the front drive unit, and CANNOT remove the bolt / castle nut to free the old shift fork.

Standing by....

More specifically, the problem is that the bolt turns with the nut, and I cannot figure out how to remove the bolt so that the fork can be removed.

Even more specifically....

Where the arrow points to: Is there a release somewhere else other than putting a wrench to the castle nut? Otherwise, it seems as though I am "spinning my wheels," or the bolt in other words.

OF COURSE, the Haynes manual says nothing specific about it. I know, get the REAL manual (shoulda, woulda, coulda...), but I don't currently have one.
Mom's Pictures.jpg

I think that there is a six bolt cover that needs to be removed to hold that shaft....but I thought that was pinned and could not pivot...

Did you pull that 22mm plug on the end of the housing so that you can remove the nut? :)

Yes...

Removed EVERYTHING that can be removed. I did not see any way of removing the nut. But, I got it removed anyway.

Here's how:

There was a point where I could go no further until I had assistance. Soooooooo....I called SOR and talked to Marv at about 6:00pm. Told him that I just got back from picking up the part at his warehouse. He said he would get a unit and take it apart to duplicate the issue. So he did, and he said, "Simply put a flathead to the bolt end and turn it off...I just got done doing it to my sample part.";)

I said, "There is no slot in which to put the flathead." THAT was where I was stuck. Apparently, the notch had gotten worn off, so I could see no conceivable way of removing the castle nut. It was a plateau, not a screw head. He said, "Good luck with that...I have a full unit here if you need it.":rolleyes:

I resolved NOT to buy anything else, but instead used a rather innovative method for removing the nut: took a bigger hammer to it. I made a notch in the top of the bolt head, and held it tight whilst turning the castle nut.

Now, it freely engages and freely releases the front shaft = 4WD!!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Pardon the winded response.

Thanks again for your help.:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom