1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone available for immediate help-Vacuum unit Fork change

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by spdwaver1, Aug 21, 2006.

1. spdwaver1

spdwaver1

Media:
    Albums:
    Got the new shift fork for the front drive unit, and CANNOT remove the bolt / castle nut to free the old shift fork.

Standing by....

2. spdwaver1

spdwaver1

Media:
    Albums:
    More specifically, the problem is that the bolt turns with the nut, and I cannot figure out how to remove the bolt so that the fork can be removed.

3. spdwaver1

spdwaver1

Media:
    Albums:
    Even more specifically....

Where the arrow points to: Is there a release somewhere else other than putting a wrench to the castle nut? Otherwise, it seems as though I am "spinning my wheels," or the bolt in other words.

OF COURSE, the Haynes manual says nothing specific about it. I know, get the REAL manual (shoulda, woulda, coulda...), but I don't currently have one.
    Mom's Pictures.jpg

4. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    I think that there is a six bolt cover that needs to be removed to hold that shaft....but I thought that was pinned and could not pivot...

Did you pull that 22mm plug on the end of the housing so that you can remove the nut? :)

5. spdwaver1

spdwaver1

Media:
    Albums:
    Yes...

Removed EVERYTHING that can be removed. I did not see any way of removing the nut. But, I got it removed anyway.

Here's how:

There was a point where I could go no further until I had assistance. Soooooooo....I called SOR and talked to Marv at about 6:00pm. Told him that I just got back from picking up the part at his warehouse. He said he would get a unit and take it apart to duplicate the issue. So he did, and he said, "Simply put a flathead to the bolt end and turn it off...I just got done doing it to my sample part.";)

I said, "There is no slot in which to put the flathead." THAT was where I was stuck. Apparently, the notch had gotten worn off, so I could see no conceivable way of removing the castle nut. It was a plateau, not a screw head. He said, "Good luck with that...I have a full unit here if you need it.":rolleyes:

I resolved NOT to buy anything else, but instead used a rather innovative method for removing the nut: took a bigger hammer to it. I made a notch in the top of the bolt head, and held it tight whilst turning the castle nut.

Now, it freely engages and freely releases the front shaft = 4WD!!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Pardon the winded response.

Thanks again for your help.:cheers:

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">