Anybody lives in Alaska? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not from Alaska, but all season tires suck in the snow. Get a second set of wheels and install a good set of snow tires (like Nokians) for use in the winter.

What are you driving? I've never had anything but all terrains on my 4WDs in 40 years of driving in Alaska.
But I'm in the warmer SE zone, and we don't drive many miles.

If you're planning on doing a lot of winter highway driving in ANC area, probably a good idea to get a dedicated set of winter rims and snow tires.

I’ve had great luck on BFG K02s on a Jeep, truck, and FZJ80 in Anchorage.

Not as good as something like blizzaks but good enough.

Yeah the snow will be packed dense into white ice, and often a dusting of snow on top. I lived in Anchorage and Girdwood and commuted a lot.

Studs are 100% the safest bet.

I just moved back from Anchorage, I ran Cooper A/TW and BFG KO2's while I was there, never had an issue. I carried chains just in case but never needed them. Just give yourself plenty of stopping room on the ice and you're good

The biggest problem is ice not snow. All season ATs are ok on fresh snow but are sleds on ice. And in a heavy vehicle like he LC, going isn’t the problem it’s stopping...They don’t salt the roads so on a typical winter your tires could rarely be on pavement for 5-6 months. I still today have a section in front of my garage that is 4” of solid clear ice.

Go with dedicated studded Nokian and your life will be better. My theory has always been if winter tires save you from one wreck it’s worth it. Pretty much what everyone else said.

I’ve mentioned it before on here. I run KO2s in the summer and studded Nokian in the winter. Dedicated winter tires are exponentially better than any all season.

If your just about to move here you won’t need to worry about winter tires until early October.

Also feel free to message me if you have any questions about AK or the move up here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom