Any newt/salamander experts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Jan 21, 2005
Threads
963
Messages
9,397
Location
Powell River, BC
Found this little dude in the backyard today while raking leaves. I assume the white milky substance on it's skin is some of toxic defense mechanism.
P1030758.webp
P1030760.webp
 
Yep, toxic as s***. Nice knowing ya, I call dibs on your back bumper
 
Found this little dude in the backyard today while raking leaves. I assume the white milky substance on it's skin is some of toxic defense mechanism.

Cute little guy! There are possibly apocryphal tales of these crawling into old-timer's coffee pots, getting cooked over the fire with the coffee, leading to a quick death of the imbiber.
 
BC40 said:
Agree on the northwestern. Lots of those in some of the ditches in the valley.

The other ones I think your talking about rough-skinned newts?

Yeah rough skin newts are I think the most toxic thing in north america

They are pretty neat, I have found a bunch of them growing up

Only ever found one salamander though which is surprising
 
Back
Top Bottom