Any good rumors about the iOS9 and CarPlay Wireless? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
ck5.com
So iOS9 is coming soon and one of the big features is reported to be support for wireless CarPlay.

There were a number of rumors about the existing Alpine ILX-007 having a wireless chipset already installed (but disabled in firmware).

Based on what I've heard, the wireless implementation might work but isn't expected to be 100% seamless.....perhaps requiring the use of a Bluetooth "dongle" in addition to the wireless chipset to fully support the new iOS functionality.

I don't know when Alpine typically launches new products each year, but I'd hate to jump in at the very tail-end of the ILX-007 life cycle and find out that there is a new model (ILX-009?) coming out in 30 days with a better screen, full-wireless support, etc.

-G

I'll save a spot in this thread to keep up as we get closer. I'm super interested in finding out how it's going to work, and is the primary reason I haven't jumped on a nice stereo yet. I hate the one I have, but I really want a solution that will last a few years. Being an apple user I know the technology is close to what seems like a full solution, but not quite there. Hopefully iOS9 will pack a full solution. On a side note, I'm hoping for the same type of integration with homekit.

I'll save a spot in this thread to keep up as we get closer. I'm super interested in finding out how it's going to work, and is the primary reason I haven't jumped on a nice stereo yet. I hate the one I have, but I really want a solution that will last a few years. Being an apple user I know the technology is close to what seems like a full solution, but not quite there. Hopefully iOS9 will pack a full solution. On a side note, I'm hoping for the same type of integration with homekit.

I have a skill for bad timing, whether it's my "buy high, sell low" stock strategy... or selling off collectible cars JUST before the prices accelerate to the stratosphere!! :)

Just once, I'd like to time my purchase correctly. In this case, getting a legal "hands free" system installed in my LC that doesn't require a bunch of icky patches, dongles or firmware workarounds.

My LC is getting REALLY close to perfect now. Baseline services are complete, it's running great and I even got my custom V1 radar mount 95% complete. Being able to drop-in some new headunit tech into this ride would be the cherry on top!

-G

Just went through all of these thoughts in the past 2 weeks in deciding what h/u to purchase for my 100 Series. Ultimately, I ended up going with the Pioneer AVIC-7100NEX in spite of no chance of support for wireless CarPlay.

While I absolutely prefer the industrial design of the ILX-007, I just cannot get over it literally being solely an AM/FM radio when sans iPhone/Pad. Whereas the NEX units offer native GPS support (heaven knows cell reception gets craptastic in mtns), Bluetooth, and DVD/CD Playback. Also, NEX units also support Android Auto (or whatever it is called) should I ever de Apple.
In addition, it is not like my iPhone is not at least plugged into a charger much of the time regardless which somewhat negates the whole wireless advantage.

And while I almost exclusively use Spotify premium these days, I still own several thousand CD's and at least that many DVD's. That might have been the biggest decider for me.

So iOS9 is coming soon and one of the big features is reported to be support for wireless CarPlay.

There were a number of rumors about the existing Alpine ILX-007 having a wireless chipset already installed (but disabled in firmware).

Based on what I've heard, the wireless implementation might work but isn't expected to be 100% seamless.....perhaps requiring the use of a Bluetooth "dongle" in addition to the wireless chipset to fully support the new iOS functionality.

I don't know when Alpine typically launches new products each year, but I'd hate to jump in at the very tail-end of the ILX-007 life cycle and find out that there is a new model (ILX-009?) coming out in 30 days with a better screen, full-wireless support, etc.

-G
I have both the 007 and ios9. I'll check tonight.

I'm also selling my 007 so if anyone is interested ;)

Nothing good to report back :(

I got an official response from Alpine corporate today.

They said basically "no comment" about the ability of the current decks to support wireless when ios9 is released, but teased that they would have a related announcement at CES (January 2016)

-G

with the Pioneer NEX do you have to use the Apple Lightning to HDMI convertor with a Iphone 6?

I only ask because I have a crApp-radio 2 and it's reliant on that adapter. And they are poorly built and the connection goes off and on after about a week or two of use.

Let us know how it is. I've subscribed to the fact that I hate Apple Car Play and wireless sound quality is junk. So I either direct link through pandora or Waze into whichever JVC/Pioneer/Kenwood/etc. radio happens to be in that particular car.

Let us know how it is. I've subscribed to the fact that I hate Apple Car Play and wireless sound quality is junk. So I either direct link through pandora or Waze into whichever JVC/Pioneer/Kenwood/etc. radio happens to be in that particular car.
Just started on carplay, what's your beef?

Slow.

Doesn't work with Waze

STILL requires you to allow permission for opening certain apps.

Slow

Slow.

Doesn't work with Waze

STILL requires you to allow permission for opening certain apps.

Slow
Huh, I've been impressed with the speed of my carplay interactions. No Waze really bummed me out, but I'm getting used to using apple maps when I need to. I'm not doing much on the system to be honest, maybe I'm not asking too much of it.

I refuse to use Apple or Google Maps - they've done me wrong too many times. So when I'm using Pandora through Carplay and trying to use Waze on the phone it's a NIGHTMARE. So carplay is disabled and Pandora goes direct. This avoids the whole problem with waze.....

s***, even damn Appradio is better than carplay. And at least that DID support Waze..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom