Antenna Switch Winch Control Mod for 100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiserpatch

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.cruiserpatch.com
I've read through several of the threads already but have not found any straight forward write-ups on a switch conversion.

I understand that adding two relays ought to supply power to the winch controller and therefore would be a good way to repurpose the switch.

Apparently a product existed for the 100 at some point but I have not heard any form of response yet from the original thread starter.

Sounds like if we don't have a simple solution, I'm better off using two single-pole, single-throw relays at the antenna control box behind the glove.

I am attempting to wire a Smittybilt XRC Gen3 12K winch control box to my '99 LX. Should be fun!

On the 100 series, the antenna switch controller disconnects the ground to establish/interrupt continuity (flow of electricity) through the circuit. The antenna switch is not rated for 3A required by the winch solenoid(s) and therefore two relays can be employed to create a circuit that can handle the current. Make sure to fuse the relay circuits independently. Use the ground from the antenna switch to control the relays (on/off for in/out). Nukegoat suggests to use the antenna motor wiring harness to run 12V from the relay through the firewall to the winch controller. Makes sense to me.

If only I had followed my instincts and studied to become an electrical engineer after all 😂

Here are some helpful resources:

Antenna.jpeg

Attachments

• ASB100.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 59
Why try to make this work with the antenna switch? Just throw a Stedi factory replica switch in one of the existing blanks, wire it to a relay, etc.

Why try to make this work with the antenna switch? Just throw a Stedi factory replica switch in one of the existing blanks, wire it to a relay, etc.
I no longer have use for the antenna switch since I converted to a static antenna.

It would mainly be for my own sense of completeness. Don’t want that switch to feel like it isn’t useful anymore

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom