Antenna/Roof rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The antenna you have is neat but something like this is done with the long whip mounted at the rear of the vehicle and tied over so it nearly touches the top of the vehicle. The Army does this to communicate short distances. Search NVIS in any antenna site.

Larry WB8LBZ

Here is a Link to some NVIS video. If you have to ask how much it is you will loose interest real quick.

Well, if you want NVIS, you pretty much need 40, 80 (75), or 160 meter. Anything higher won't return. Some of the claims on the antennas listed above claim higher frequencies, but everything I've read on NVIS says 40 is the highest frequency band where it can work. The sexy bit about NVIS is you get wider area (~200 miles) that is resilient to things like canyons, without having a mountaintop repeater. This is why the number one user of NVIS is the US military.

I guess i'm curious what the need would be. Are you not able to contact the people you need mobile via the 2 meter or 70cm bands ? Do you have people you would regularly talk to on the road that you require 40m on up ? Your friends or whoever you talk with would also need this kind of setup in there vehicles. Unless your talking to them at there shack.

If I had to guess, without a repeater, 2/70 being line of sight, range is limited and if you're down in canyons, NVIS might have a better chance to make contact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom