Another "what’s it worth?’" thread. My 1978 mustard yellow fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

assembled...I'd like to say here that the little plastic clutch alignment tool is a must! It did not come with the kit that I ordered and I thought I could 'eyeball it' and get the tranny shaft to line up but boy was I wrong! After wrestling with the transmission on my chest and on a cheap harbor freight trans jack I finally gave up. A few phone calls to local transmission shops and I was able to find a shop "with a whole box full of alignment tools, just come get 'em". I took my old clutch as a reference and found a match. the trans slid right in after that...
DSC03388 (800x600).jpg

Last edited:
re-tapping all the threads for the oil pan bolts...
DSC03389 (800x600).jpg

oil pan and new gasket. I did this twice before I finally got a good, leak free seal. The first, one piece rubber seal did not work to well for me. The second, 4 piece cork gasket worked great.
DSC03393 (800x600).jpg

top off
WAM 012 (1024x768).jpg

my wife thinks I have a Toyota problem...I don't see any problems, you?
christmas 2012 162 (1024x768).jpg

tap and die set, this has been hands down one of the most useful tools in my shop
DSC03745 (800x600).jpg

steering gear box re-seal that I finished up last week
DSC03963 (800x600).jpg
DSC03967 (800x600).jpg
DSC03980 (800x600).jpg
DSC03981 (800x600).jpg
DSC03982 (800x600).jpg

back where it belongs, with new steering coupler
DSC03990 (800x600).jpg

Here's how I look at price when it comes to vehicles. Assuming it a decent vehicle that someone would want, then it's all about exposure, marketing and negotiation.

Park it at the end of the driveway in Cedar Rapids with a "For Sale" sign = $15K
Put it on Craigslist in your state = $18K
Put it on Craigslist in every state = $20K
Put it on eBay and do a good job = $25K
Consign it to someone who is a trusted Land Cruiser provider = $30K
Take it Mecum, Barrett or RM and roll the dice, perhaps a lot more.

All this assumes you can take killer photos and write good copy. The longer you are willing to wait also impacts the price. If want it sold today, it will cost you.

my 2¢
G

This is prob a dumb question, but would reversing the polarity of the wiper motor make any difference?

thanks for the info on the wipers, I'll take a look. Coolermans site has been extremely useful, I used his write-up for my steering gearbox rebuild. Any idea if this is a matter of just pulling the cover off the wiper motor or actually folding the windshield down to access the little slots for the wiper arms?

I think you do have a problem---there are only 3 of them!

BTW, where did you source that tap/die set?

The pics for the steering rebuild are great--I gotta do the same soon-thanks for these.

my wife thinks I have a Toyota problem...I don't see any problems, you?

Assuming it a decent vehicle that someone would want, then it's all about exposure, marketing and negotiation.

G

Makes sense, sounds like I have even more work to do!

BTW, where did you source that tap/die set?

its an older sears craftsman set I picked up from a friend. Its a little overkill for most of the fj stuff, there is a m8 and m10(x1.25?) I used quite a bit.

Wipers

Regarding the wipers. If they park in that position it could be an easy fix. I had a 78 FJ40 with an issue where the wipers parked, but NOT in the right location. I ended up removing the wiper motor cover, unbolt the motor and disconnecting the wiper motor from the rods that control the wipers. Then I simply pushed the wipers down to the correct position and re-connecting to the motor. Solved the problem.

Here's the thread - https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/698941-windshield-wiper-return-question-2.html

G.

wipers fixed!

. I ended up removing the wiper motor cover, unbolt the motor and disconnecting the wiper motor from the rods that control the wipers. Then I simply pushed the wipers down to the correct position and re-connecting to the motor. Solved the problem.

G.

this was it, thanks! wipers return to the horizontal position. really easy fix to, took about 5 min. another reason this forum rocks!

parts in bare metal

a few pics I dug up of individual parts that were blasted
41920 016 (800x600).jpg
1-10-2011 116 (800x600).jpg
1-10-2011 044 (800x600).jpg
1-10-2011 114 (800x600).jpg
1-10-2011 043 (800x600).jpg

windshield frame- bare metal to self-etching primer
1-10-2011 040 (800x600).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom