Another swap question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

workingdog

GOLD Star
Threads
I am going to following the advice I got here and when I take the 350 in my '66 FJ40 to TPI I'm going to get the whole engine. Since I'm getting the entire engine, I have to figure out which to get.

Anyone have any comments on using a TPI 350 versus going to the similar size vortech?

If I stay with a 350, what year and model should I look for at the junkyard?

I'm hoping to mate all this to an NV4500 - is there a truck I can get the entire setup from?

Thanks

Peter

For instance there a Vortec from a Tahoe for sale on ebay - 130083136652 - that seem like a pretty good deal for a motor that should replace my older 350. This is a TPI engine - isn't it? Am I missing anything?

Peter

no a vortec is not a TPI (tunned port injection) TPI is usually found in 1985 through present corvettes, camaro's and trans am's go to ebay motors and just search for TPI and you will find alot of stuff for sale. i am in the middle of a TPI swap in my 40 right now. check out these sites for more info. and check amazon.com for books on it, you will get them cheaper there then on ebay. www.howellefi.com www.tanksinc.com www.moates.net www.chevythunder.com www.tpis.com www.jagsthatrun.com www.fuelinjection.com www.aztpi.com www.firstfuelinjection.com www.chevyperformance.com www.tpiparts.net www.customefis.com http://www.sdsefi.com/techsurge.htm http://www.rowand.net/shop/tech/EFIBasics.htm www.hotrodlane.cc

and this is just part of what i have saved and read through. when done i may be selling 1 TPI set up ( i bought 2 ) good luck and this should clear some of it up for you! :cheers:

Last edited:
oh and i forgot the pics of one :doh: this is in my uncle's 86 vette

Last edited:
Thanks for the links, I've been to most of those places. I understand EFI and TPI pretty well, I'm just trying to figure out the Chevy letter soup used to name the various versions of the 350 over the years. So the trucks never had TPI?

Is that a picture of an L98?

Are you converting a 350 to TPI or are you buying a complete TPI engine.

Peter

yes i believe my uncle said it was the L98

and i am converting a carbed 350 to TPI. the motor in my crusier only has about 15 to 20K on it and i got some money from Aflac for trying to cut my thumb off so i figured what the hell.

wish i could be of more help to you but as far as i know no trucks ever had TPI just TBI if you can get the block # check it here www.mortec.com and i dont remember what all is on this one http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/GMTBISwap.htm

good luck and i hope i helped a little at least.

Last edited:
As far as I can figure out the only vehicles with TPI were the Camero from about 87 to 92. Although at some point they changed from MAP to MAF and I don't know if these are OBD II complaint

Although once, the 6.0 liter LS1 went into a truck it must have tpi and been OBD II compliant, but that would be a spendy motor and probably a big much for a FJ40.

Thanks for the help.

Peter

OBD II wasn't introduced until the mid-90s.

the first year of TPI was 1985 before that it was cross fire fuel injection (dual TBI cross ram style) on vettes. the 85 camaros and firebirds were available with TPI but only had it on a 305. covettes came with the TPI on a 350 in 85 and in 87 the camaros and firebirds got the 350. and all of them used a MAF sensor to measure airflow until 1990 when chevy went to speed density (MAP) wich measured manifold preasure to deliver the correct fuel flow and in 1993 they went back to MAF wich is still the way it is done. and the 85 to 88 used a cold start injector to richen the fuel mix for start up and in 89 the chip program changed and the ECM used all 8 injectors at start up to richen the mix and the 9th injector (cold start) was eliminated.

i know alot of stuff on TPI in camaros vettes and firebirds but dont know sqaut about truck motors :rolleyes:

Thanks lone gunman, so if I wanted a later model MAF, TPI without the cold start injector on a 350 I would look for...

Peter

ok if you want to do a MAF (not a MAP) you can use the 86 through 89 TPI system with the ECM # 1227165 (305 or 350) 86 through 88 will have the hole for the 9th injector you buy a plug for the hole (ebay etc.) and use a chip for the 89 TPI set up that has the VATS program turned off (vehicle anti theft system) it has the program to richen the mix for start up. you can get the chip programed (vats removed) for around $44.00 from some of the sites listed. the 86 TPI manifold will fit 86 and older chevy motors. the 87 through 89 will fit 87 to 92 chevy motors. or do what i did, i went 86 manifold and 89 fuel rails, runners, plenium, throttle body and ECM #1227165 and custom chip. i also found a painless TPI harness on ebay that i will use. you will need to build a surge tank aslo for fuel supply and return (an aluminum radiator puke tank works with a little fab) . it sounds harder then it actually is just read up on it, there is a ton of info out there. buy the books off amazon and read up. or buy a complete car and do a swap, but get a book for converting the factory wiring and have at it. if you have any questions PM me and i will try to help. good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom