Another suspension question - sorry... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
I'm looking for a recommendation, and suspect the answer is probably something like"you should call Cruiser Outfitters or Slee"...

In any case - I have a 2013 with a bit over 100K miles and am looking to refresh my original/stock suspension.

Most of my driving is on the road, mostly two lane paved or dirt. It is a family hauler and is used for recreation.

I'm in the northeast and don't do any "wheeling" or anything hard core. I drive a lot of dirt roads, and occasionally go on class 4/logging roads/skid trails (the rough equivalent of "fire roads" I've driven in Colorado, not as extreme the tougher "jeep trails").

I tow a few light trailers: a very light aluminum boat, a utility trailer and a small camper. The rear of the cruiser sags a lot when loaded even with the small camper (1600lbs dry).

In terms of weight: I have my rear seats removed, and do not have a drawer system or any other heavy loads in the rear. I just ordered budbuilt expedition skids (the aluminum ones) and step sliders. I don't plan to add front or rear bumpers (but wouldn't rule it out - I'd like an option that would allow me to upgrade springs, if I do).

My first thought had been to just get a set of takeoffs, but I'm thinking this doesn't help with the rear sag. Then I though about adding some airbags that I could pump up when towing, but I don't have any experience with them, and this seems like a bit of a hack.

I'm not looking for a fancy off road suspension, but a mild lift would be fine. I don't want height adjustable coil overs or dampers - because I don't ever plan to adjust them.

I've had good luck with non adjustable OME suspensions on past cruisers, and am thinking this may be a path to explore. Maybe with a progressive spring that is softer for day to day and takes the load when I haul a trailer?

Any recommendations?

Last edited:
If you don't need a lift and want a nice cushy ride stick with OEM shocks or get Bilsteins unless you want the off-road "look". Your trailers are very lightweight, so just get some airbags if you want to firm up the rear. That way you keep a daily driver suspension and then air up the few times you tow. This would also be the cheaper route then a new suspension. This is where an LX570 shines where the rear raises with a load. I always prefer towing with our GX470 with the air bag suspension since the back end doesn't sag.

Last edited:
I have a 2015, in the northeast and also use my truck about the same as you with a couple of exceptions:
1) I have my third row in because "teenagers" 2) I tow a 3500 horse trailer with usually one horse so about 5000 combined weight.

My rig has 80k on it and I felt like the stock suspension was way too soft - I also drive a 100 with OME on it and had another 100 with TJM XGS on it (which I sold for the 200). So I think i am just used to a firmer ride from those trucks. also wanted a progressive spring because I dont want to sacrifice the ride quality when it's empty just to get good stability when loaded on the horse trailer.

So I went with the Dobinsons setup (installed by Mainline Overland in Bow, NH) which added about 2" to the front, but the progressive added probably 2.75 to the rear when running normal loads. With the 3rd row occupied, it's really great and has a slight rake to it. when loaded with the horse trailer it's dead-level front to back, so the progressive springs are doing the job, exactly like I asked when we figured the setup out -- the main issue is when empty it has that "stink bug" look and the rake is quite high. I've come get used to it, but when I see built and lifted trucks that don't have the high rake I like the look better.

So, I am likely going to change the rear out to a medium-load spring which will give me a slight rake when unloaded and I'll go to airbags where I can change the rate of the springs when loaded with the heavier trailer. this will allow me to dial in the support and firmness and not be compensating for my wide range of load conditions. Honestly, it's probably what I should have done based on guidance here - but I wanted more flexibility and needed towing capability more quickly than I could figure out what I wanted.

Now, I dont want to be fooling around with manually filling air every time I tow the horses (which is 2-3 times a month), especially mid-winter, so I want something that I can have presets for and can fill with an on-board compressor. I found a nice system from AirLift called the WirelessONE, which allows for the presets and dial-in, but I dont want their compressor - it doesnt have the duty cycle to also fill tires, which I'd like to be able to do when "softroading" up in Vermont and Maine (or in the event of a trailer tire issue). So I am in the process of designing the system to work with an ARB dual compressor so I can do air-ups and also have that triggered by the WirelessONE controller. As soon as I figure that all out, I'll swap the progressive's out.

Probably more than you asked for, but I would recommend the Dobinson's or similar ARB OME Nitrocharger setup. no need for the BP-51 based on what you said you wanted to do. if you're not really doing hardcore trails, the airbags are fine - I just tried to avoid the complexity since they can be an issue off-road with high flex conditions.

Airbags are definitely not a hack. They may be exactly what you need. with them you can maintain the stock ride and get extra help with heavy loads and towing. I put them in immediately when I bought my truck and really like their versatility.

+1 to airbags, awesome and cheap. I used 2 sets of $110+/- airbags on my old 4Runner in 277k miles. I chose cheap/simple tire-valve manual fill. I wanted the body to roll less as on-road so I used a separate Right and Left fill. That config also allowed for lean control.

If offroad articulation is a high priority install with one fill valve for both airbags. As one wheel gets pushed up the air will move over to the wheel that’s going down.

+1 for airbags here as well. My 2008 has a small lift up front (~2" via Bilstein 6112s) and stock springs with airbags in the rear. I run about 10 lbs in the bags unloaded, and 35 lbs in the bags when pulling my small camper. The adjust ability is a nice feature coming from pickups for towing with traditional leaf/overload spring setups. I think you'll find they're just what you need. At the price, the worst case is you don't like them and try again.

I was after the same thing you describe. We do about the same thing(s) with our 200 that you do with yours. After all my research and talking with some great resources on MUD, I went with a Tough Dog kit from Jason at Trail Tailor. I went with the non-adjustable 41mm front and non-adjustable 41mm rears and 0-660 lb coils. Granted I've only driven the truck for an hour since the install (yesterday), the ride is great. Vastly improved. Like a new vehicle.

From a lift perspective...I got about an inch more than I was expecting front and rear (more than I wanted to be honest). A little over 3 inches in the front. I was only counting on around 2 inches. I sure hope it settles. Really hoping it settles actually. Feedback from other MUD members with the same set-up indicates settling will occur. I want a rake. As she sits now, it's level and maybe just a hair nose up...which I definitively do not want. Time will tell. Like I said, ride is GREAT. However, I need it to settle if I am going to be happy with it. I'll give it some time.

Sounds like airbags are popular. I didn't realize that. Any recommendation on particular brands or models?

Mine are the firestone coil-rite. Air valves for fill are mounted through the rear bumper facing downward underneath. Easy to access, and I usually just fill with a bike floor pump, as they don't take much volume and I always have one with me.

Wow, and inexpensive too. Thanks!

Mine are the firestone coil-rite. Air valves for fill are mounted through the rear bumper facing downward underneath. Easy to access, and I usually just fill with a bike floor pump, as they don't take much volume and I always have one with me.

Ditto here. Same set up. I installed the Firestones in about an hour each one.

This article has been a great help. Like the OP, my needs for mildly better performing suspension are much the same. Now I'll have to choose between TD and Dobinsons..both excellent options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom