1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another project for you ?

Discussion in 'FJ45 Owners Club' started by Marcfj-45, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Marcfj-45

Marcfj-45

2. krzyabncanuck

krzyabncanuck USFS HOTSHOT GOLD Star

Matt, Are you the one looking at it for the frame ?

3. orangefj45

orangefj45 Supporting Vendor

yeah, i talked to matt about this one a couple of days ago. it would be the perfect parts/donor rig for him as it would pretty much complete the parts he needs for his.

4. buckroseau

buckroseau May I have another!!!

Yea, I've got it saved to my favorites in ebay and have been watching it;)

Georg PM'd me early this week and turned me onto it. As I told Georg, probably won't bid on it if it goes over 2K, and I think it will. Not trying to be a total tight ass or really wierd, but just doesn't quite fit the bill for me if it goes over 2k.

I'm sure it will be a steal for someone (assuming it meets the reserve), but few reason's why it's not really doing it for me. And my reason's might seem stupid and goofy to some, but in my mind it makes sense and comes down to what I want. I'll give you a brief description of what I plan on doing and why...

I plan on keeping my lwb 97% stock. Now some of the purist's are saying, "why don't you keep it 100% stock"? For me..comes down to useablity (is that a word?) and right now a stock lwb is not that user friendly for me. I said before I was tall........6'9" tall, now you know :) I fit in my FJ40 just fine, but it took a steering column 3" longer and a smaller steering wheel, also a seat kit to install brackets that moved the seat back 2". Works great and I am very comfortable now. I plan on trying to lengthen the stock colum and possible install a smaller steering wheel on the stock column. Still has that stock look. I also plan on installing saginaw power steering......yea, I know the stock steering is fine when it's all tuned up :rolleyes: Whatever floats peoples boats, but I've owned cruisers with both...I like saginaw power steering, enough said. But, other than that...stock!! Also, this has nothing to do with the lwb on ebay but I thought I would share it anyway...I looked at other lwb's and for some reason I had to have a 75 or new one....not even sure why myself???? It just had to be that. Now, what does this have to do with the 45 on ebay now......

I don't like the way he cut up the front x-member to install the powersteering box. Yes it can be fixed, but just doesn't make me feel all warm and cozy inside looking at it. He's also looks like he's done maybe a little funky stuff to the front frame horns? Also a front shacke reverse kit...maybe? I don't want that either. The tailgate looks like it nees a lot of work from what I can see, not sure if you would ever get that straight? The box, it may not look like from your perspective, but I don't think it's that much better than mine. I don't like that flat piece of sheet metal that is welded into the bottom and not exactly sure what has happened around the wheel well openings? Also, his rockers might not be rotted out like mine, but his drivers side floor is.....you guys will eventually see, but my floor is aboslutley solid as a rock and still looks like new.

Now, your still maybe saying.....you need a frame don't you? Yep, gotta have one, no other option for me...mine is junk and when I start taking it apart I'm sure you guys will agree ;) Got several solid leads on frames and prices are very reasonable. I will be getting one, just is yet to be determined where it's coming from yet. Then, I figured I can start fresh and cobble it up however I see fit.

Sheet metal: Before I even bought an lwb I had already contacted Panama Paul. I assumed from the begining that I would probably need a new tailgate and possibly a new box. I liked the idea of possibly getting a lwb that was totally trashed in the back end, just get a new box, prime and paint....done. I may...and I stress may, end up fixing my box. As bad as it is I love a challenge ;p I also spoke to Marv 2 weeks ago, he's in Australia right now and will have used boxes end of Oct. or early Nov., so that might be an option also. I also might be purchasing one from Panama Paul around March or April of 07'? Just not sure exactly what directly to go yet, few things up in the air and I haven't started ripping mine apart yet?

I know my lwb looks like ass, but not for long :) As bad as it looks it does have some good qualities. Also, price was pretty reasonable and I just sold one of those 40's the other day, got a decent price for that and it brought the price of my lwb down. So, I've got a little money now to spend on a frame and then some ;)

And of course, what fun would it be if it wasn't totally junk and couldn't bring it back from the dead :D

Matt

5. Marcfj-45

Marcfj-45

Power steering saginaw

Matt the power steering "saginaw" is it bolt on ,is it only the gear box, do we keep the same arm that is alerady connact to the second pivot in the front ?

6. buckroseau

buckroseau May I have another!!!

Hi,

I could spend a lot of time explaining it, check out this link in the tech section first. Pretty much gets the point across.

http://medusa.ih8mud.com/cruiser/Saginaw.html

Hope this helps, Matt

7. rutbeer

rutbeer

Holy crap! That thing is over $3grand already and it's that beat up????
    Man, I only paid $5k for mine and it's in way better shape. I usually say you get what you pay for, but that 45 has seen better days. Matt, at least yours is a late model (desirable). I think you have all you need...just a box and a frame are really needed from what I can see. Knowing your skills, I'm sure you can repair the front fenders, etc. with no problem on yours. Shoot, you can probably still buy the fenders, and nearly everthing else is available from Paul.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">