Another "How to Post Images" Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Vae Victus

Posting more than I know
Threads
I typed this up for a member who PMd me, and thought I'd post it in the forum. There are other postings, but I thought I'd include the App and Website methods, since I do both frequently.

From the Website:
First the max dimensions in pixels for the images is about 800 x 800 so you have to get it down to that size.

When you go to post an image, if you are in a Quick Post screen, you need to click "Go Advanced" if you do not see the advanced editing buttons at the top.

Screen Shot 2013-07-11 at 11.10.06 AM.png
Paper Clip

Once you do that, you will have a screen with a bunch of familiar editing buttons at the top. The Image one is the paper clip. Click that (not the arrow next to it) and open the Image Management window.

Screen Shot 2013-07-11 at 11.53.29 AM.png

In this window, you will see where you can upload 3 image files at a time, or post a URL to a remotely hosted image (at Flickr or Google etc). I normally upload, but that's just because I've figured out how to resize the images easily. At the bottom of that window, it shows you how large your images can be (PDFs can be 2GB, but JPGs can only be 156KB).

Most of the images I post are coming from my iPhone, and most are much larger than they allow. So, I've found that I can get the images from the iPhone to my computer (I'm doing this on a Mac, but been a pc user for years too - no difference).

I use Picassa, Google's free image organizer and "editor". In that, you can export a file to be 800 x 800 max, so it resizes them pretty easily. Many photo editors do that.

Once you have them sized, you can click the "Choose File" button, select your photo, and repeat up to 2x more. THEN you have to hit UPLOAD and be sure to upload them to the posting. If you want to do more, you have to do another post and add 3 more.

When you have uploaded the photos and close the little upload window, you then have to put your cursor where you want it in the text, and click the little arrow next to the Paper Clip icon. Then you can click the image you want to insert, or say "Insert All" and it will put the images inline for you. Otherwise, they are left as attachments, which is fine, if you like that sorta thing. Not judging, just sayin'. :eek:

Whew! They don't make it easy do they? This feel downright archaic compared to the SmartPhone App way to do it.

From a SmartPhone:
If you use a smartphone of any type (iPhone is what I use, I assume there is an Android app but not confirmed), then it is MUCH easier.

Download the ih8Mud app to your phone, start a new post (after logging in and all that crap), click the little + button (or on an iPad it says "Advanced") and "Attach from Photos" or "Attach from Camera" button/link. If you are like me and using the smartphone to take pictures as well, then the pictures will be right there on your phone. I also use an iPad and use the PhotoStream feature that shares your last 1000 pictures between all your PCs, iPhones, iPads comes in handy when I'm in the garage using the iPad as a reference tool and want to upload a photo to the forum that I took with my phone. Cuts down on gyrations trying to get the photo in the right place - it just appears on my iPad.

image-2595205083.jpg
App screen that allows uploads (iPhone version)

After clicking Upload, and waiting for it to complete, you then can click the image that just uploaded from within the window and say "Insert Inline" and it will put a link to the image in your message where you want to put it. You can cut and paste this text and move it around as you could on the website version.

For Editing: They assume you are going to put a caption below a picture, so any text above it is spaced such that it does not touch the image - no matter how hard you try otherwise. Any text below it is spaced so that it hugs the bottom of the image - no matter how hard you try otherwise. Just be aware - formatting is frustrating until you realize that.

One caution: if you upload an image from the app but don't "Insert Inline" it will "attach" the image to the end message you post, but will not put it inline. I did this once when I uploaded a picture but decided not to include it. The picture was attached to my posting and I could not remove it no matter what I tried. Bug in the app I guess. You can likely delete it from the Web version by going to the Paper Clip and clicking Manage Images. If you have more that 3 images though, I don't know what it would do.

You can upload as many images as you want and you don't have to resize anything.

Linking to Web Hosted Images
I don't do this as much, so am not as full of details, but, you can do this from either the web or the app version. You can simply paste the image URL from your browser into the Manage Attachments screen above, or in the Advanced Controls screen on the app.

Screen Shot 2013-07-11 at 11.10.06 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-07-11 at 11.53.29 AM.png

image-2595205083.jpg

Last edited:
The forum software automatically resizes the image...obviously, a 4000x4000 image will take some time tho, so images WAY over the limits are best done prior to uploading.

Nice writeup :)

The forum software automatically resizes the image...obviously, a 4000x4000 image will take some time tho, so images WAY over the limits are best done prior to uploading.

Nice writeup :)

The App or the website? In my experience the web version just says "Sorry, too big."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom