Another Front Axle Rebuild Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OB-1

SILVER Star
Threads
So I'm about to finish my rebuild finally after many delays (close to 2 months on jack stands - is that a record?), but I have a bad feeling I may have screwed something else up (no real surprise there).

I completed the ps side first and the axle went in with no problems. The ds, on the other hand, gave me a super hard time. It just didn't want to go in completely. After what seemed like forever it finally went in.

If you haven't noticed my sig yet, I do have factory lockers and I know that the diff needs to be in the locked position. Now, being new to lockers and 4X4's in general, I'm not so sure I locked it correctly, especially since I had such a difficult time getting the ds axle back in.

So, now the questions are:

Did I screw up? If I turn the truck on this afternoon and drive it will the diff explode or am I just being paranoid (as usual) and should assume that since it did finally go in that I'm ok?

And should I be worried about my axle seal after shoving the axle in there? I tried to be careful, but I did pull out and in quite a few times (get your minds out of the gutter).

Thanks in advance for your advice and input. I need to get this done or the :princess: is not going to let me do anything else to it ever again.

whats "close" to 2 months? I had my truck on jackstands for 2 months, 2 days. I did front axle rebuild, rear axle rebuild, new 4.88 gears, lift and tires. It was a long time. I wouldnt worry about your rebuild, if you think you screwed up the axle seal, you'll no doubt screw it up again with a new one, know what im saying? You'll be alright dude. Get it together right, and tighten to spec, now worries.

whats "close" to 2 months? I had my truck on jackstands for 2 months, 2 days.

I'd say you beat me by 4-5 days, but of course you got a ton more accomplished.

if you think you screwed up the axle seal, you'll no doubt screw it up again with a new one, know what im saying?

:flipoff2:

Yeah, you're probably right. :hillbilly: I think I'll wait to see if it starts leaking.

I have a locker too, and did not bother to lock it during the rebuild. I wouldn't worry about too much. Just drive it, you ought to be able to tell if there is anything wrong. I plan to do a front diff fluid change again after 200 miles so that I can see whether the seal is leaking...

Isn't it the whole point of doing the job ourselves so that we don't have to worry about someone else screws up? The fact is we are worrying regardless. :grinpimp:

Last edited:
Isn't it the whole point of doing the job ourselves so that we don't have to worry about someone else screws up? The fact is we are worrying regardless. :grinpimp:

I agree with you 100%.

Maybe the veterans don't have this problem, but my lack of mechanical knowledge and my natural tendency to over-analyze and over-worry makes this type of stuff really stressful.

It's nice to get some reassurance and helpful advice from the wonderful people that make up the community that is MUD. :cheers:

I just finished mine last night, didn't get the axle locked, and on the 10 minute test drive, nothing blew up.

I struggled a little with the driver's side shaft a bit as well, but it went in on the second try after some wiggling.

Well, it's finally done. I test drove it and so far no weird noises or explosions. I'll be taking it for a 2hr drive tomorrow so hopefully I won't have any issues. When I get back I'll take a look at everything to make sure I don't have any loose bolts or excess wheel bearing play.

Thanks to all for the help :cheers:

On to the next item on a very long list. :D

On to the next item on a very long list. :D

What list? I thought the step #6 (drink beer) is the last one on the list! :grinpimp:

I had my '97 LX on jacks for almost 2 months as well. I did the front and rear axles.

I had the same issue. One side (forgot which) went in smooth as butter, the other wouldn't. I had my diffs locked. Finally, I pounded it in w/ a hammer and brass drift. I was frustrated as heck. I did test it w/ jacks at all 4 corners and saw all the tires rotate w/ no noise/grinding.

...a BIG GRINDING noise as soon as I was out of the driveway...

Just kidding.

No problem after a year. Diffs still work. Dont' sweat it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom