another DIY roof rack... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'd tack weld the snot out of it. I know it's a lot of monotonous work, but rattles make me crazy(er).

I agree...tack it now and be done with it...sanding off the paint to re-weld later because the rattle didn't go away would suck

Agreed. When I get some more time with it, I'll tack the snot outta it. I just remembered I need to add the Highlift mount, as well. I assume I'll be fabbing that too, unless anyone knows of mounts that would be adjustable enough. The tubing is 3/4" OD, spaced 5" from bottom edge to top edge of the outer tubes.

Thanks again for the kind words

What a fabricating friend does for Hi-Lift mounts is use those old school hood pins and some pin type (FJ60 front upper mount) urethane shock donuts. One donut on each pin, then the Hi-Lift hung on the pins, then the last pair of donuts and then the flip pins or hat pins to hold everything in place. Set it up so that you have to squish the donuts a bit to get the pins in.

That is some nice fab work you did there..

That rack looks goood !!:grinpimp::grinpimp:

Thanks again.
Ntsqd, that's along the lines of what I was thinking. My thought was to use some generic sway bar end link bushings, but same effect. Having always wheeled alone, I either figure it out for myself, or I poke around on 'Mud.

I stopped part way through the paint job to rethink, and fish for opinions:

As I noted earlier, I intended to use the Chinese HID's avail from Checker Auto. They measure around 9" total height, IIRC. Therefore, I made the front hoop for the lights 10" high. Makes sense, but this is where you folks come in:

Well, the hoop looks way out of proportion, and I wonder if I should rethink the hoop, and thus, which lights could then live up there.
Since it's a 62, I could mirror the headlights and use some square ones, but I understand the reflector design is where the real performance lies in a light. I also like HID for it's relatively lower power requirements, but don't like the $$ usually associated.

Should I stick with el-mondo hoop as pictured, and use the 9" lights, or drop the height roughly by half and use square lights? If square, then which ones have good bang for the bucks?

Fitting in the garage is moot with either idea, as the 7 ft door will limit either design.
Edit: Changed pics.
DSC01528.jpg
DSC01529.jpg

Last edited:
Well I agree that the hoop looks silly that big. A couple of inches would make a lot of difference. did you check how much of the 9" on the lights you want is the bracket? Perhaps you can lose an inch or two if you attach the light to the bar with a different bracket design.

I don't know, I would wait until you mount up the lights to make a decision.

It may look goofy now, but it may work once you get it all set up.

you could also set it up on the truck and measure down from the light mounts and see how much room you have to the roof...the roof does curve down slightly and depending on how high it is from the roof you can redesign the fron to sweep down as you swept it up make it look symetrical and then when you are happy with the look then get the lights that fit that general size openings and wait to make the mounts...many ways to mount round lights....square lights go only a couple....my 2cent on design great job so far...you certainly have the skill to make it look like it was store bought:clap:

Okay, if I get time today, the hoop will come off for a redesign. The lights will sit only about 12-14" forward of the A-pillar when installed as planned. I hoped to eliminate windshield glare, and to limit hood glare that way.
The roof is still flat in this area. Regardless, I think I can lose 2" in height not accounting for the light hoop.

Ntsqd, the lights in your link look like the right $, but I would opt out of the lens guards.
Here's a stock pic of the 7" version of the Checker Auto lights:
Chinese HID light 7 in..jpg

This should work mo betta:
DSC01530.jpg
DSC01531.jpg

The rack has been painted and installed for a bit, so here's another update: I just couldn't stand the Megahoop 1.0, so I settled for this one at 6" tall, which will allow for the 4" lights.
DSC01548.jpg
DSC01549.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom