Amsoil VS. Redline for G52 transmission (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know everyone has their superstitious when it comes to gear oil.

In my 1st gen tacoma I have always run redline 75W90 in the diffs, transfer case and redline MT-90 in the R150F five speed. Shifts were clean, but at extremely low temperatures (prolonged -20 degrees F and colder) the redline doesn't flow as well.

I am about to do diffs, transfer case, tranny in my 1990 LN106 Hilux. Same drivetrain as an 85 pickup, G52 and solid axles. Considering Amsoil Severe Gear 75W90, I've heard it does great in the cold. As for the transmission I'm not sure whether to stick with redline MT-90 or go with an Amsoil product.

Anyone with a happy G52 - watcha running?

I ran Torco synthetic for the first ~60k that I put on Patch (G52) and Redline until sold at ~125k. No idea what came out of it, but the PO had to have the trans rebuilt at a young age b/c he was a self-admitted idiot and he advised me to keep synthetic in the trans and never let it go under 3k rpm's in 5th.

No experience with Amsoil or that kind of saturating cold. The more moderate cold that I did experience (~0°-32°F) with the Redline in the trans made no difference, it shifted normally.

I was given a transfer case that had Redline in it before being drained and pulled. It sat around for several years before getting put to use and it dribbled pink gear lube that whole time.

Might look into this on BobistheOilGuy.

Thanks for the reply. Good info. The interesting thing I experienced with redline was that in extreme cold (all day in -20 F, or worse) it seemed like the gear oil would significantly thicken and then end up leaking out the breather. It was very odd. The diffs weren't overfull, and there was no moisture or foreign intrusion into the system.

In warmer weather (0 degrees F and above) the redline performs flawlessly. I tried freezing some Amsoil Severe Gear and some Redline 75W90 and pouring them. The redline was definitely more viscous after freezing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom