American Adventurist Desert Rendezvous 2018 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

$20 RSVP to cover costs is fine. $2600 ($20x130 trucks) to cover costs of the BLM permit is fine, if the permit is even that expensive and the patches. $20 cash at the door as well?

I really love this one for the dumpster diving clean up we do, however...o_O

I think the fee is reasonable to cover admin, organizational and BLM special permit costs. I don't think I would be ok with any more however. That's one of the reasons I don't go to MR anymore, $20 + $40 + gas is too much for my one-nighter. If you don't like it, it's free to camp at the next space over ;)

Last edited:
I think if he called it like Woody does for the voluntary fee here or Dave over on Outdoor Adventures USA as support for the website and campsite fees for their two organized events, I'd be ok with the transparency. $5200 collected for DRV assuming its full does much more than cover admin, org, patches, and BLM permits. It's a good group over on AAV as well, but I won't be attending.

Don't get me started on the $40 'CASH DONATION' to BSA and only cash because BSA doesn't want that many checks. Bull:censor:. Having been an adult leader in BSA for 10 years, I've seen Friends of Scouting (FOS) drives have that many checks in an evening. Sorry, my wife has a tax license and if we're going to deduct the $40 on our tax return, I want a receipt or cancelled check. $20 to cover the campsite fee is probably about right. Those BSA facilities even charge out of district troops to stay there so don't tell me it's free. Don't call me cheap for wanting to take a tax deduction...of any amount.

Has anyone asked Dave where the money goes? If it's a for profit exercise I am OK with that. An organized event with swag, food, a chance at nice raffle prizes, an excuse to go camping in a nice area and spending time with enjoyable people is worth $20. If he uses any excess for charitable causes, even better. I am all for capitalism and letting the market bear what it can bear.

$20 cash at the door as well?

I didn't realize this until I read the first post again. Is that true? That seems like a lot.

That's what I read. $20 RSVP and $20 cash on arrival. Where does it all Go? For profit? Absolutely imho. What started as a nice gathering in the desert is making someone a nice penny or two. Sure the BLM permit and patches cost money and organizing itself is very time intensive. Running a web site isnt cheap either. Either contributions or sponsors or advertising pays for that. draw your own x files conclusion.

Last edited:
Dave listed a few things that the money goes toward, much more than DR. I guess they are using the monies generated from the three big events to fund everything. I understand the concept. For me though, since I only go for one night it's hard to justify the $40 plus gas, potluck contribution, etc. I'll probably pay this year, but may consider just camping next year and not participating. Well see how it goes.

I like the clean up effort with the blm and dumpster. The rest now as a commercial venture i can skip, and will be.

Dave listed a few things that the money goes toward, much more than DR. I guess they are using the monies generated from the three big events to fund everything. I understand the concept. For me though, since I only go for one night it's hard to justify the $40 plus gas, potluck contribution, etc. I'll probably pay this year, but may consider just camping next year and not participating. Well see how it goes.

Where? This is all I see - "all proceeds cover operating costs for this event"

Where? This is all I see - "all proceeds cover operating costs for this event"

He addressed operating costs in post #148 of the thread in the first post ^.

I'll take a look. Obviously not the only one questioning this.
Edit - so you brought it up! :rofl:

His 'transparency' should have come a lot sooner. I've got no problem ponying up to support a website or to cover costs of an event. I do here on Mud and have for years. What I object to is being told at MRV that it's a donation to BSA and it's sounding like all of it isn't or perhaps wasn't.

Methinks that perhaps a membership like here that then masks most advertising is reasonable unless AAV doesn't want to go the route of advertising banners above what little is already there.

Last edited:
I signed up to attend :meh:. $40 can easily be someone’s coffee budget for a week... :idea: or two cases of Corona

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom