Builds AkerOverland 2004 GX470 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

toothaker1219

SILVER Star
Threads
So I recently became the new owner of a 2004 GX470. I have many plans for the Lexus, mostly following along the lines of the general Overland/Expedition type of rig.

HXa9JqQ.jpg

Standard mod list will consist of:
Bumpers
RTT
Roof Rack
Lighting
Lift/Wheels/Tires
Extra Storage

Im sure there will be other odds and ends along the way!

As of 4/23/18 I have done the simple tasks of removing the third row seats, replaced all the interior lights with LED's, and removed the running boards.

42FJzqp.jpg

More to come soon!

Nice! Looking forward to your build. I’m contemplating building my own sliders and integrating the running boards lights into it. I kinda like the lights

So last minuet a friend talked me into going to Cosby, TN this weekend for the Smoky Mountain Overland Rally this weekend. This prompted some quick work to get camping ready.

RVa3nPp.jpg

Picked up some supplies from Academy Sports to get through the weekend including a Magellan Ice Box 50qt cooler which claims to hold ice for 10 days... we'll see about that. Also picked up a storage tote and some other odds and ends.

Picked up a Scoshe MagicMout for my phone as well, it comes with two metal plates for the magnet so I used the extra on my portable radio.

LR35juU.jpg

RByVchQ.jpg

Some part of me feels like I over packed for this 3 day trip...

0cSdxi8.jpg

It has been a while since my last update and a good bit has changed on the GX. After removing the step bars I trimmed both the front and rear bumpers. Just yesterday I finally installed the Robinson 2.5" HD suspension that I picked up from Kyle at TOO. I couldn't be happier with this kit, especially for the price. The install wasn't too difficult but it did require some creative thinking, but I completed it by my self with standard hand tools.

Bumper trim:

hFgA1IZ.jpg

CY3ebkc.jpg

WEFRhgf.jpg

guTk1A4.jpg

My pre lift heights were as follows: (from the floor to the fender lip)

Drivers front: 35 1/8
Drivers rear: 35 3/4
Passenger front: 35
Passenger rear: 35 1/2

Post lift heights:

Drivers front: 37 7/8
Driver rear: 38 1/2
Passenger front: 38 1/4
Passenger rear: 38 3/4

Judging by my pre lift numbers I opted to use one of the 1/4 inch spacers included in the SSO coil conversion kit on the passenger side and none on the drivers, but it looks that I could have used none on each side and been fine.

End Result:

Epv8pRz.jpg

xHGC6Rk.jpg

I love the way it sits now even with the 265s

I found that a sawzall is the fastest way to remove the hight sensors from the front struts. And that a wire hanger makes easy work of the air bag clips.

MMwR3lB.jpg

35ehoU3.jpg

The most difficult part of the install to me was getting the nut and washer in place for the drivers side coil conversion. With the location of the rear pan hard bar you can only access it from one side but after some cursing, and a fine application of painters tape it was able to get it done.

rWxirqI.jpg

A7TKEFS.jpg

A few things I wish I had known before hand:

Removing the front sway bar makes the from strut removal/replacement 100x easier, this may be common knowledge but I learned the hard way. Also I found it easiest to not bolt the coil conversions in prior to trying to put the springs in. If you slide them in together, you can put a socket and wrench in-between the spring to secure the conversion seats.

In other news, I spent a little time this afternoon making a super simple mount for my iPad mini. It fits perfectly in front of the clock/info display and I used another magic mount to hold it in place. This appears like a decent option for the time being.

TAoOYDx.jpg

DGewDHT.jpg

I have a friend (not on Mud) who got a deal on a black 04. Did a Metaltech build with Iron Man Pro Foam lift, MT front/rear bumper w/swingouts, MT sliders and FN F(x) Pro wheels with BFG KO2s.

Great looking truck. Following your build...
9C136DFB-63F4-432B-B208-0CAAABDD08D1.jpeg

looking good, what did you use to trim the bumpers?

looking good, what did you use to trim the bumpers?

On the front I used a dremel tool with a cut off wheel, and the rear I used an oscillating tool which in my opinion worked much better

Yesterday I picked up a lightly used ARB awning that came with a new in box deluxe room. I mounted it up shortly after the purchase and today I was able to get it out and play with it. The room is HUGE, as least compared to the Coleman tent I've been camping in! Its about 8ftx6ft extended. This will do nicely until I can get a RTT.

PxZ7RYA.jpg

vliXUpF.jpg

Cuu5IkL.jpg

IXigjr9.jpg

EWGXcnN.jpg

wRhJqUP.jpg

Inspired by some posts around here and on the GXOR Facebook page, today I put together a drop down table. All in all it was about $75 in parts all from Home Depot.

Mounted the support rope to the rear door frame using self tapping screws and washers.

0hRVz1e.jpg

dgg0lGC.jpg

ehrdxjz.jpg

Ran the rope through the rear door trim.

hWsqWWD.jpg

Mounted the table to the bottom of the door through the trim into the door frame.

TG2BCfK.jpg

WFxkvRv.jpg

And added in a paper towel holder. Plan to mount some cutlery and some other cooking odds and ends in the door.

qEHhQhT.jpg

Know it’s been a while since you posted, but looks great. I’m picking up my new to me GX tomorrow and excited to do some similar mods. When you did the rear bumper chop did you just also chop the exhaust and remove the towing hitch entirely?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom