1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Air Compressor Question

Discussion in 'Workshop and Home Improvement' started by Driley, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Driley

Driley

Besides filling tires, what else could I run with a compressor rated at 3.7 cfm @ 40 psi. & 2.6 cfm @ 90 psi (125 psi max)?

Riley

2. honk

honk

Media:
    That MIGHT be enough to get one lugnut off before you wait for the tank to refill.

3. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:

A small airbrush set up for painting model cars....

4. Driley

Driley

My loving :princess: thought I would like an air compressor for X-Mas and bought one at Target (yes, Target). It is a sweet Dura-something and I just had to smile and say "that is perfect, thanks so much". She did only spend $74.00 on the thing and it does air up all of tires on the LC with one full tank.

I guess I won't be buying any impact wrenches until I get a man size compressor.

Thanks for the input.

Riley

5. stayalert

stayalert SILVER Star

blow up tubes for sledding. blow up floatation bags for white water canoeing, blow up...you get the idea....

6. e rock

e rock

That's enough to run a framing nailer (or any other smaller nailer for that matter).

A blower nozzle is cheap and is often the most valuable use of a compressed air source.

I got by for a long time with just a cheap little compressor. Not good for impact wrenches and useless for the die grinder, but I ran air shears, air ratchets, and other smaller stuff. I'd just roll it outside so it wouldn't bug me as much when it was running nonstop. It leaked oil from the day I brought it home and after a while I stopped refilling it. That damn thing ran for 2 more years before the connecting rod grenaded inside the crankcase while I was trying to put 100psi in the church bus's tires. The satisfaction from viewing the ensuing carnage was better than any use I ever got out of it. :D

7. trainrech

trainrech SILVER Star

If you do any DIY around the house, that size will be handy for brad/nail/staple guns. I have a large compressor in the garage and a smaller one for working around the house.

8. D'Animal

D'Animal Rescuer of Beagles & Landcruisers Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Is that a 12volt? I think my ABS 480 compressor has better specs than that and it mounted under my hood?

9. Driley

Driley

It is a regular plug in the wall unit. Basically, think Harbor Freight...

What I really want to find is a simple 3/8" air ratchet to run nuts and bolts in and out (probably not break them loose, but just save wrench turning time).

Riley