Aftermarket Suspension Parts (Delphi or OEM) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Newbie here! (Apologies in advance if I missed the sticky to this in the FAQ)

I am well overdue for replacing my cruisers suspension components - they are tired and worn at 229k. I understand the quality and build of Genuine OEM Toyota/Lexus parts however, the prices of the aftermarket parts (Delphi) are quite affordable.
Even if it meant that I would replace these Delphi brand components again in another 80-100k miles, the cost would still be considerably less expensive than OEM parts that may last 120-140k.

Here are a list of the parts I need to replace:

-Upper/lower control arms
-Inner/outer tie rods
-Front/rear Sway bar links & bushings

Does anyone have any experience or input on using Delphi/aftermarket brands to replace their worn suspension components?

Thanks!!

Even if it meant that I would replace these Delphi brand components again in another 80-100k miles, the cost would still be considerably less expensive than OEM parts that may last 120-140k.
More like 20-50k mile lifespan for Delphi trash and 150-200k mile lifespan for Toyota suspension parts. So if you don’t mind replacing everything again in 50k miles, and 50k miles after that, and 50k miles after that, meanwhile you likely wouldn’t replace OEM once in that timeframe, then go ahead. It adds up.

However, I will say that you could probably be fine with Delphi control arms if you swap in Sankei 555 ball joints and Toyota bushings before you install the arms. But at that point, you’re not really saving any money and certainly not saving any time.

Last edited:
@JunkCrzr89 You rock! Thank you! I will stick with OEM.
It’s an initial hit to the wallet, which we all understand and can empathize with because we’ve been there. But the longevity of Toyota parts is unmatched and there’s a very high probability that none of those suspension parts will need replaced for another 15 years if you install OEM now (depending on driving style, of course).

It’s an initial hit to the wallet, which we all understand and can empathize with because we’ve been there. But the longevity of Toyota parts is unmatched and there’s a very high probability that none of those suspension parts will need replaced for another 15 years if you install OEM now (depending on driving style, of course).
I agree with the driving style being a big factor here. And I think that 50k miles would be reached if you primarily drive on pavement. If you do much offroading at all I bet some of those delphi parts would be lucky to get to 10k miles.

@Pz10420 Thanks for your input! Super helpful. I definitely want to make sure I’m doing it right once. Will check out partsouq.
No problem. I found it to be the best most affordable site and delivery if surprisingly good for parts coming from the other side of the world. You can put your vin into the site as well to make sure you are getting the right parts for your rig and they way they have it laid out with the parts diagrams is REALLY helpful.

@Pz10420 Partsouq is great and definitely much cheaper than the dealer! I did manage to find several Japanese suppliers that ship to the US. Any experience with JDM sites? (Impex being one of them). Interestingly enough, I will be in Japan in 3 months and may have the opportunity to purchase in person since I have 3 free checked bags to bring parts back.

@Pz10420 Partsouq is great and definitely much cheaper than the dealer! I did manage to find several Japanese suppliers that ship to the US. Any experience with JDM sites? (Impex being one of them). Interestingly enough, I will be in Japan in 3 months and may have the opportunity to purchase in person since I have 3 free checked bags to bring parts back.
Impex is great and often even cheaper than Partsouq; however, shipping times typically differ substantially between the two. Partsouq will ship within 2-3 days of purchase and have it at your door within 4-7 days of purchase. Impex will ship within 2 weeks of purchase and have it at your door within a month. I buy from Impex only when planning ahead and not needing parts immediately.

I don’t know what Jap-US customs scrutiny is like but I’d think your proposal to bring bags of parts back might be plagued before you even get started.

I have taken car parts in and put of the country. Since it is for personal use you should be fine (assuming you are a US citizen). You cannot bring like 3 dozens of oil filters.. as they might think you are doing a business. Try to locate OEM window visors! I got a set for my 4Runner from a member stationed in Japan and it came right to my door USPS and no tax.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom