Advise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Planning a trip to Colorado Springs area in my FZJ80 Aug. 17-23 for a little off-roading, sight-seeing and camping.
Planning to hit a few trails like Balanced Rock , Mt. Herman Road Schubarth Loop, Phantom Creek, and Rule Ridge. Looking at running more scenic trails and not hard core. Camping along the way.
Any recommendations on trails, camping spots and local breweries?
Thanks!

Where is your route taking you? The trails you mentioned are pretty mild and can be done in a stock 2wd pickup. My buddy just took his 2wd panel van down phantom canyon no problems lol.

Go up old stage rd out of the broad moor resort area for easy access to the pikes national forest. Lots of trails and free camping. You can fish in penrose resevior and even continue on thru until you get to victor/ cripple creek area. Go to skagway for some nice fishing and camping. A great, close retreat off pavement and into the cooler weather.

Breweries:
Trinity
Bristol
Colorado rocky mountain
Rock bottom
just to name the ones worth stopping at.
LMK when you're coming and maybe join you for a brew.

Cool.
Thanks for the reply, that was the kind of info I was looking for. I am not opposed to running harder trails if it has good scenery or camping. A beer sounds great, I'll let you know when I'm in the area.
Thanks.

Here are a couple of pictures from Mosquito Pass which connects Alma to Leadville. I was in a stock Scout on 31's.

100MEDIA$IMAG0425.jpg

100MEDIA$IMAG0428.jpg

If your working your way down to Canon City you can take Skyline drive. Its a short paved one way road but it's kind of unique. Don't txt and drive on this road.

100MEDIA$IMAG0397.jpg

100MEDIA$IMAG0398.jpg

If your looking for site seeing opportunites and your heading South of Colorado Springs for the day I highly recommend Bishop's Castle. Its another unique opportunity.

www.bishopcastle.info

Thank you for the replies and the great information. Looking at the book Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails it's difficult to get a good idea of the trails I should explore.
Last years trip to Colorado I stayed in area 1 and ran Yankee Boy Basin, Imogene Pass, Black Bear Pass and a few others.
This year I'm planning 5 days on the trail covering area 6 and other areas if recommended. I'll be traveling from the South, Pueblo, CO and maybe make a circle hitting several trails. Hopefully camping on the trails if possible and refueling and resupplying as I travel to the next trail, improvising as needed.
Looks like I might start in Canon City and hit Bishop's castle and Skyline drive, Then go to Pikes National Forest and run a trail or 2. Maybe go over to Mosquito Pass also.
In pikes National Forest what trails do you recommend?
Any recommendation on trails around Mosquito pass I should run while in that area?
Thanks for the help!

I'm not positive, but check into the trails off of Rampart that you mentioned in the first post on this thread. I believe most of those trails, or at least access to them may still be closed because of the wildfire on Rampart range earlier this summer. Just don't want you to be surprised when you get there. Anyone know the current status on those roads?

Everything is open except the portion of rampart from garden of the gods to Loy creek road. The reservoir is also in that area and is subsequently closed.

Shubarth area is included in the closure.

The are starting some aerial operations and there may be many short term closures in the area. That may include closing Mt. Herman Rd and other areas as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom