Advice on work truck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All - I spend almost all my time in the '40 section. I'm out of my element when it comes to Tacomas and modifications. I'm looking for some advice on which direction to take.
I should probably explain that we use these vehicles for inspecting fence lines, harassing wildlife, and looking for holes using the Braille method. So we needed something that could take the abuse better than an Explorer.
The issue is that we have installed levelling kits and larger tires. We went with LT285/75R16 K02s and now they're rubbing on the control arm during tight turns. It seems like there are a couple options; spacers, narrower tires, wheels with a different backspacing (I'd like to keep the stock look but cheap steel rims might be an option). I'm wondering what others have done and which option is best. There should be some pictures below of the truck and the control arm with the paint scratched off.

1st picture - passenger side
2nd - driver side
3rd & 4th - comparison to Antonov 124 and its gear
5th - new stance (we use the lights for inspecting pavement at night)

truck5.png
truck4.png
truck3.png
truck2.png
truck1.png

Thanks for looking. Any help is very much appreciated!

It seems like there are a couple options; spacers, narrower tires, wheels with a different backspacing (I'd like to keep the stock look but cheap steel rims might be an option). I'm wondering what others have done and which option is best.

I tried all 3 on my old Tacoma. For the 16x7 (stock) rims, I preferred the 255/85 (narrower) tire. Still 33" in height, but the narrow tread kept it from rubbing the control arm. When I had 285/75 on it, I found some cheap 1/4" spacers that helped move the tire away from the control arm. Otherwise you need some 16x8 rims with around 4.5" of backspacing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom