Advice after head gasket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Help,
Good customer brought 92 into shop with leaking radiator.Replaced radiator-upper tank was cracked.After replacing could not run engine with rad. cap off to fill-kept pumping coolant out of top.Figure blown head gasket,maybe which caused cracks in radiator.Removed head & sent to machine shop-pressure ck & ck for warpage.Pressure check & machine head .008 inch.Get all back together & have same issue & engine sounds like a thrashing machine.Tried to raise front of truck & fill rad. to bleed system.After running for about 5 minutes starts puking coolant again.What the heck.Thought I was a decent mechanic.Just rebuilt a 3.slow in my 4runner.Had trouble with it bleeding cooling system,let set overnight with front jacked way up-works great now.Am I not being pacient enough with the Cruiser.Would like to get the guys truck back to him-good guy-good customer.Want it to be right when he gets it.
Thanks a bunch:frown:

Are you filling the system, then starting and just letting it run for a little bit before adding more, or are you trying to fill while running?

I had some trouble bleeding air out also. Replaced radiator and all of the hoses, water pump also. I removed the heater hose and poured water in and in about 15 seconds it started working fine.

Let it run for a bit before you try to top it, just keep an eye on temps (one of those lasers would work, can't trust the factory temp gauge) until things seem stable, then add a little, then wait, etc...take it slower and it should work.

Check the thermostat. Either there is none, it's in backwards, or if it's a jiggle valve design the valve's not in the correct spot. The puking coolant when cold seems odd - should be only block circulation - that's why I wonder if there is a thermo in place. Other guys with this engine ever seen the puking?

DougM

got her going now,did the same as the 4runner.replaced stat first then filled when running,let sit over night with front way in the air.wrkd perfect next day.thanks guys

did you prime the system without the thermstat in first:confused: i dont know about 80s but 62s and such its olmost a must

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom