Acquiring a 1995/96 Omani Model 75 Troopy - have I gone mad? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great to hear back from this awesome build.
The tires look great. Love that skinny look.
What was eventually the culprit on the rear axle? Did you end up rebuilding it?
Cheers Ralf

I've almost got the Troopy back. It passed inspection but the guys found that the radiator was weeping. Rather than rebuild, I had a new all-aluminum radiator made with one extra row of cooling fins for good measure. It was about 1150 AED or 315 USD.
1662740983389.png

1662741004030.png

The grey color of the rims is really growing on me too:
1662741036387.png

So I have been using the troopy on and off as a daily driver when other trucks are out of commission (which seems to be a lot of the time--but it is a process, right?)

I've been thinking about getting a awning / sun shade for the desert. I happened to be in Sharjah looking for door trim for the 105 and I saw that a nice young man I know had a new and perfect roof rack for a troopy.
1682774441072.png

He said that the truck already had been sold but that I could have the roof rack if I wanted it. Logistically this was challenging because I was driving the Holy Truck (an 80) and not the troopy and I am leaving tonight for the US. But what the heck... I drove from Shajah to Dubia Investment Park and swapped the 80 for the troopy and drove back up, and even though it was the lunch hour the guys helped me out.
1682774622847.png

Last edited:
So I have been using the troopy on and off as a daily driver when other trucks are out of commission (which seems to be a lot of the time--but it is a process, right?)

I've been thinking about getting a awning / sun shade for the desert. I happened to be in Sharjah looking for door trim for the 105 and I saw that a nice young man I know had a new and perfect roof rack for a troopy.
View attachment 3310331
He said that the truck already had been sold but that I could have the roof rack if I wanted it. Logistically this was challenging because I was driving the Holy Truck (an 80) and not the troopy and I am leaving tonight for the US. But what the heck... I drove from Shajah to Dubia Investment Park and swapped the 80 for the troopy and drove back up, and even though it was the lunch hour the guys helped me out.
View attachment 3310338
I miss UAE so much! The workers there will go to great lengths to make people happy.

I always tried to carry 20 Dirham notes to put in people's pockets when they provided excellent service.

Too many of the migrant workers get treated so terribly by the Emirati's. But the workers are terrific and trying to make a better life for themselves.

Awesome roof rack!

I miss UAE so much! The workers there will go to great lengths to make people happy.

I always tried to carry 20 Dirham notes to put in people's pockets when they provided excellent service.

Too many of the migrant workers get treated so terribly by the Emirati's. But the workers are terrific and trying to make a better life for themselves.

Awesome roof rack!
Paul, I could not agree more. When I fill up on gas I always give a 5 or 19 dirham tip. It is not much and these guys... they work all day and night in the heat. Re the roof rack I definitely did add a bit and asked my friend who let me buy it off him to pass it to his laborer.
Here are a couple more photos:
1682786544601.png

1682786569494.png

And the troopy is safely at home
1682787258833.png

1682787277851.png

1682787294027.png

It is really in very close to factory condition. And most importantly it is not too tall and is sized for the Troopy. Garage entries can be low in this country and the troopy is tall to begin with, I jumped on this even though I am flying to spend some time with my younger son tonight. It was just an opportunity that I could not pass up. I drove more than 300km today with all the running around. Home to Sharjah to look for 100 trim, which I found, Shajah to Dubai Investment Park to swap the Holy Truck for the Troopy, DIP to Shajah to get the roof rack, Shajah to Al Quoz to drop the trim at SebSports for the 105; and finally home.

Oh and the troopy now uas locking hubs on it.
1682787608191.png

Awesome roof rack!
So true!
Served in the area, can share your feelings...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom