AC light blinking AC stops blowing cold air

Wife was driving around town a couple of weeks ago and the AC stopped working (100degree weather). I opened the hood and had her turn on the AC. The AC clutch was intermittently spinning and making weird noises. I had the mechanic replace the compressor.

Fast forward I pick up the vehicle and the AC works fine when initially turned on then the AC light starts blinking and the cold air stops along with the clutch. Checked the pressure on the low side (was registering 60) Dropped it to about 50 and issue continues... I then replaced Fusebox due to reading numerous threads about having intermittent AC issues and the relay being built in..

Now i've replaced the fuse box and am continuing to have issues... Ill start the car and in park it works just fine but as soon as i put my foot on the break and shift to reverse or drive the AC light starts blinking and I have to hit the AC button off and then back on for the compressor to kick back on..

2005 LX470 200k miles.

Any ideas?

Any chance you are checking your coolant Temps with ODB2? If the coolant gets too hot it will turn off the compressor until it cools down.

Did the shop replace anything else when they replaced the compressor? Mine was having this exact same problem a few weeks ago. I ended up having a clogged condenser that was stopping up the system. It was building up so much pressure it was keeping the compressor from turning. I had already purchased a new compressor because I though the clutch was going out. Put a new compressor on. Same problem. Ended up swapping out the condenser and that solved the problem.

Did the shop replace anything else when they replaced the compressor? Mine was having this exact same problem a few weeks ago. I ended up having a clogged condenser that was stopping up the system. It was building up so much pressure it was keeping the compressor from turning. I had already purchased a new compressor because I though the clutch was going out. Put a new compressor on. Same problem. Ended up swapping out the condenser and that solved the problem.
Nope they just replaced the compressor. I just a condenser. What condenser did you end up going with?

Cleric Duran

SILVER Star
I had a similar issue earlier this summer with the blinking light. It ended up being a bad alternator causing low charge in the battery. The system detected the low charge and shut the Ac compressor off. Take it to an auto parts store and have them do a load test to rule out the alternator or faulty battery

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom